This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Recently, I’ve been really obsessed with the word “chaotic.” Aside from rolling off the tongue perfectly (go on, say it aloud), it’s something that I feel describes life. There’s a lot that happens in life we don’t have control over, both good and bad, and that can feel chaotic. In the past couple of weeks, I’ve mostly been feeling the good side of a chaotic life. For me, that comes from being with friends. 

It started with a group project in a class. My group consists of myself and two other friends. We’ve been getting together before almost every class to work on this project we have. About half of the time, we were working on our project; the other half, I’d define as us being chaotic. 

Our chaos includes joking around with each other, constantly drinking coffee, and always asking about the ‘mystery’ crushes my group mates have. A great example of this happened just this past week when we got together to study for our midterm. We surprisingly did a lot of studying, but of course, we managed to throw some chaos in there. Before starting, we got coffee and thought it was a good idea to buy some chocolate-covered espresso beans, to reward ourselves with throughout our study session.  We started the study session off with one, ‘clinking’ them together before eating them. Periodically we would eat more, ‘clinking’ them each time. As we continued studying, we ramped it up and started eating two at a time, and then three. The last one we ate was in our class, right before we took our midterm. At that point, I think we all had eaten almost 10 chocolate-covered espresso beans (taking that midterm, I was SO jittery). 

Another favorite kind of chaotic energy of mine is going grocery shopping with friends. This also occurred this past week, with three of my friends. The four of us went to Target (the absolute best store in the world). Since I was pushing the cart, I kept using it to bump into my friends. This resulted in one of them standing on the edge of the cart. She stayed on it while I was pushing it, which resulted in me pretending to squish her between the cart and random things we would pass in the store. 

Chaotic energy with friends is one of the most fun things to experience. These wacky, out-of-the-blue moments occur and later on, you look back on it and can see and remember how much fun you had. Sometimes it may feel weird to do things like that because you can be afraid of what other people might think. I’m here to tell you to enjoy those moments with your friends. Try to forget about who’s around you and what they may be thinking (it can be really hard sometimes). Immerse yourself in those moments with the people you care about, and I promise, you won’t regret it. 

Ally Gall

Hamline '21

I study creative writing and sociology at Hamline University. Lover of puzzles, books, being outdoors, cooking, and coffee.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University