priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Being in a Romantic Relationship During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Being in a relationship is hard enough without a pandemic. COVID-19 has changed many aspects of our lives. It has affected where and how we work, attend school, and also our relationships. Our romantic relationships can feel especially strained, as our current situation may be leaving you thinking and feeling differently, and that’s ok. Here are just a few things you might be experiencing in your relationship right now, as many other couples are as well.

1. You’re arguing more often. 

The pandemic is taking a toll on everybody emotionally, there’s no doubt about that. We are stressed, anxious, and sometimes it’s hard to keep it together. As much as you don’t mean to, you may end up taking it out on your significant other. Small things, such as miscommunication, can turn into full blown arguments. With tensions running high, don’t get too concerned if you find you and your partner arguing more than usual. Focus instead on ways you can go about addressing and resolving the problem. 

2. You’re struggling with communication

Some people may find communication difficult to begin with, so during times of uncertainty, it may be even harder. If communication is lacking or becoming more difficult, it may simply be because your partner has a different style of communication than you. If you believe differing styles of communication may play a part in the issue, a quick Google search can provide information on communication styles and how you can work together to resolve the issue. 

3. You’re handling being alone better than you thought you would

If you’re anything like me, having to be apart from your significant other was one of the scarier things about the pandemic. Going from being with your partner almost every day, to once or twice a week, or less, is a huge change. You may be discovering that being alone is not as difficult as you thought it would be. If you are concerned, don’t be, as studies have shown that being able to tolerate alone time is related to increased happiness, overall satisfaction, and better stress management. So in the long run, alone time may actually be beneficial. 

4. You need more alone time

On the other hand, if you and your partner live together and have been spending much more time with each other than you’re used to, you might feel like you need some time to yourself. Everybody needs alone time, so there is nothing wrong with feeling this way. Having alone time is beneficial to your mental health because it gives you the time and ability to clear your mind and just relax. You may love being with your partner all the time, but spending all of your time with one person can result in feelings of being burnt out. Take a walk or find a solo activity to clear your head.

5. You feel like your relationship might not survive the pandemic

There is a lot of worrying going on right now regarding just about everything, so worrying about whether your relationship will last through the pandemic is not that surprising or uncommon. If you’re experiencing feelings of doubt, voice your thoughts to your partner and you can discuss ways in which you can keep the spark alive. You and your partner can schedule a COVID-friendly date or just some quality time to reconnect. 

Feeling unsure in these crazy times is to be expected, and your partner is most likely feeling the same way. Sit down with your significant other and have a conversation about any feelings that you may be struggling with, work through them together, and your relationship will be stronger because of it.

Olivia Brandt

Hamline '20

Olivia is a recent graduate of Hamline University with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology as well as a minor in Public Health Science.