This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It’s me again, your friendly neighborhood Student Services student worker. I’m here to give you my top five tips for preparing yourself for registration. You are planning your schedule and courses for the fall many months in advance, so it’s important to be prepared when your registration day comes.

Look Through Course Listings:

Hamline lists all of their courses for each semester here. There are many classes offered, so make sure you get a chance to look through all of the ones that interest you. The course listings are an easy way to see the time, credit-load and Hamline Plan attribution for each class. Be sure that the classes you want don’t overlap each other!

Print Off and Markup a Program Sheet:

Program sheets for every major and minor can be found here. Simply click on your bulletin year (usually the year you started) and download the form. These forms are helpful because they list all of the requirements for your program, so that you can figure out what you have left to take. Some advisors may ask that you fill out these before meeting with them.

Double Check the Status of Your Account:

The number one reason that students are blocked from registering is because they have a hold on their account. Check to see if you have any holds by going to Piperline – Student Services – Registration – Check Your Registration Status. Trust me, you’ll regret not checking when you see all of your top choices filling up at 7am, and you can’t call Student Accounts until 9am.

When in Doubt, Ask Questions:

Most students will meet with their adviser (because they have your registration code!), so use this time to ask all the questions you need. You can also meet with Academic Advising if you want to figure out which classes to take, or you can contact the Student Services office if you have questions about credit maximums or holds. It’s better to have questions now than to have them after the registration period has ended.

Be Ready to Go On the Day:

First, make sure you have your registration code in a safe place. Write it down or put it in your phone. On the day of your registration, set up your computer 10 to 15 minutes before your time so that your computer has time to boot up and load your Piperline. Have the information of your classes written out in front of you, with the CRNs clearly visible. The CRN for each course is all you will need to type in.

You can check your registration date and time by going to Piperline – Student Services – Registration – Check Your Registration Status. As a final piece of advice, don’t take an 8am class if you don’t have to! You’ll thank me later.

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University