This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

Ten things that every military brat knows

Madelaine Formica

Military brats, a weird subculture within a subculture; kids who have grown up with parents in the military. Like any subculture there’s certain things that only fellow military brats will know whether they’re from the Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy or National guard.

1. The most dreaded question that causes fear and panic to wash over every military brat. “Where are you from?” The identity crisis that follows is something that can’t be avoided, especially when you’re in the middle of a move. Do you give the asker the name of the home you just left behind, the new home that you’ve never seen, but will be occupying for one or two years or should you give them where you were born? Too many choices for a simple question.

2. You start all your stores with the phrase “when I lived in [fill in the blank].” The feeling that you need to specify where you were becomes necessary as you tell stories of people and places that feel like they’re from a different life time.

3. You have to hold back an eye roll whenever a non-military friend says, “oh yah I moved once when I was five. It was an hour away, had to switch schools.” I know they’re trying to relate, and I’m sure it was a huge change because I’ve been there, but I’ve driven an hour just to go to an ice cream shop that ended up not being opened, let alone going to drive to see a friend.

4. You have flashbacks of being on base whenever you hear the ringing of the national anthem outside. On base you would look down at your watch and realize there’s one minute until 4:30 when the national anthem plays and everyone has to stop what they’re doing if they’re outside and stand at attention. You race inside, panting as you dive through the door and the music starts to play. Even worse was when you were driving and blasting music. You wonder why the car in front of you pulled over. Then slamming on your brakes and turning off your music you realize it’s 4:30.

5. Meeting military brats in the wild outside of base seems like a weird club. Instantly you feel connected and ask the common questions. What branch? How many moves? Where did you live?

6. You see friends only once a year, maybe every other year, but you know that you’re still friends. Moving away tests bonds and only seeing a friend for two days after not seeming them for a year can seem like a lifetime.

7. Trying to talk military with your non-military friends and getting blank stares. “Yah I had friends who PCSed nearby. They have to stay in TLF (insert a humorous laugh at how gross you know TLFs are). At least now they’re only five hours away.” You never realize how many acronyms or weird jargon is wrapped up in the military until you’re forced to explain what the acronym means. Note: TLFs are temporary housing that are like never renovated motels. PCS is permanent change of station, so when you move.

8. Knowing how short two years can be.

9. Knowing how long two years can be. But if it sucks you can always move… If it’s amazing, you always move.

10.  You have a friend in every state, so if you ever are on the move or the run, you know where to go.

Feelings are what make up a sub culture, related experiences. Being a military brat can be a weird and fun thing to be, like being in a subliminal world. With these ten relatable experiences the world could seem like a smaller place.  

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University