Stuck on Repeat: Taylor Swift’s Red Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Taylor Swift is back this fall with her much-anticipated fourth album, Red. It’s hard to believe that her first CD came out back in 2006 when Motorola Razrs were the coolest phones to have and Britney had just broken up with Kevin Federline. Six long years and two albums later, she returns with 16 amazing songs that will definitely be playing on your iPod for the rest of the semester. Here are some of the best songs:

State of Grace ★★★

As one of the singles released on iTunes before the full CD came out, this song has basically been stuck in my head for three weeks. Tay channels U2 for a more alternative pop feel. Although she seems to be giving up the country vibe a little, it’s definitely working!

Red ★★★★★

The title track for the album, Red is a super catchy song that you won’t stop singing. Of course, it’s about one of Taylor’s favorite topics- break ups! However, like “The Story of Us,” this track is a more upbeat jam that is still fun to blast in the car or sing along to with your friends.

Treacherous ★★★

While I wasn’t obsessed with this song when I first heard it, it definitely stands out on the album for its deep and relatable lyrics: “And I’d be smart to walk away/But you’re quick sand and “all we are is skin and bone trained to get along/ Forever going with the flow but you’re friction.” If you are feeling those lines, it’s easy to put this one on repeat while you do some homework and reflect on your own love life (even if it doesn’t include a Jonas brother or a Kennedy).

I Knew You Were Trouble ★★★★★

Everyone has that friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend who you could just tell was going to be trouble the minute you met them. This powerful song captures those feelings in along with a dubstep vibe that is new for Taylor, but is always perfect to dance or yell along with in your dorm room (or maybe even a Bundy party).

22  ★★★★

Another upbeat dancing song, this one will catch your interest from the first line “It feels like the perfect night to dress up like hipsters and make fun of our exes”. After five seconds of singing, who doesn’t feel like putting on some hipster glasses and calling up their best friends for a gossip session?

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together ★★★★★

As the surprisingly witty first single released from the CD, this song set expectations high for Red. With some country undertones and Taylor’s sarcastic voice reminding her ex that they really are never getting back together, like ever, you’ll be tempted to send the music video to your own ex. Another one to blast in the car with your friends or at the gym!

The Last Time (feat. Gary Lightbody) ★★★★

If you like Snow Patrol and Taylor Swift, get ready to be amazed by this duet with Taylor and Gary Lightbody, Snow Patrol’s lead singer. This sad break-up song with amazing harmonies and instrumentals is perfect for cozy Sunday mornings and times when you just want to listen to slow and calming music (think “Teardrops on My Guitar”).

Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran) ★★★★★

This track is another beautiful duet, this time between Taylor and Ed Sheeran, singer of “The A Team”. You will probably never want to press next once you hear Taylor’s soothing voice and Ed’s cute British crooning together. Don’t worry, this song is pretty upbeat compared to the other ballad and is about entering new relationships rather than ending them!

Starlight ★★★★★

My personal favorite of the entire CD, this song sounds like magic is coming out through your headphones. It combines some slow beats with an upbeat chorus, leading to a song that sounds very much like some of her earlier and more innocent work. Check this one out if you loved “Sparks Fly” and “Love Story”!

Begin Again ★★★★

This slow ballad with cute lyrics about meeting a boy in a café is really hard to resist. As the next single Taylor is promoting off of Red, the music video just came out last week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMPEd8m79Hw.

If you’re wondering who and what all these songs are about, sneaky Taylor put hidden messages in her CD booklet with clues, but if you bought your songs from iTunes, be sure to check out this cool website which explains each one: http://www.vulture.com/2012/10/who-is-each-song-on-taylor-swifts-album-about.html?mid=twitter_nymag

And if you can’t get enough of Red, be sure to head to your nearest Target to buy the CD and get six other awesome songs that are exclusive to Target stores!

Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.
-