Privilege = Power

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

In the past, I have shied away from dramatic political statements. I always feared someone would challenge me or prove me wrong or make me feel stupid for my opinion. I preferred to sit back and observe as others discussed politics and learn from what they were saying rather than engage in heated debates. This all changed when Trump became a presidential candidate. Suddenly, I felt the need to express my political opinions with my family and friends. Perhaps this has to do with increased confidence in my understanding of politics that I have gained from a year of college education, but I also think it is closely tied to the specific issues associated with this election, i.e. gay rights, women’s rights, immigrants, and minorities. When Trump won the (projected) electoral vote, this desire to get involved with politics intensified because it became clear that I no longer have the luxury of not actively fighting for what I believe is right, which is why this past Tuesday I participated in my first protest.

The protest, which I’m sure many Hamilton students have already heard about, was truly inspiring. It centered around providing support and showing solidarity with those that have been most affected by Trump’s words of hate. Organizers estimated that nearly 600 people turned out for the “Our Power Rally”, which is pretty impressive considering the small size of the Hamilton community. At the top of the Hill participants linked arms and formed lines and then proceeded to flow down the hill towards the central green of Clinton. For the most part, people in town were supportive and cheered us on, which is expected in a fairly liberal college town. However, there were a few people who booed us and one man who peacefully stood with his Trump sign. When faced with opposition, we only chanted louder to drown them out and for the most part it worked to silence their calls.

Once the protestors arrived on the green, we all clustered around the central gazebo and certain members of the community stepped forward to speak out about how they fear the direction our country is going in and how it will affect them personally. As the rain poured down on our gathering I couldn’t help but notice the pathetic fallacy of the dark times in our nation’s future that will result from this election. The stories people relayed were quite moving and reminded me of my racial as well as socioeconomic privilege. Being reminded of my privilege brought to mind one of my favorite Latin sayings, “noblesse oblige”, which means to whom much is given much is expected. What I am getting at here is that I, much like many other Hamilton students, am privileged, and as a result of that privilege I have a responsibility to fight for the rights of people who are not as blessed. Although it might be easy to get distracted with school work and personal problems, we need to keep in mind the bigger picture and put in the work that is needed to place our amazing country on the right track. Remember: privilege is power – use it wisely. 

image credit from: http://educationvotes.nea.org/love-trumps-hate/

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.