How to Entertain Yourself on a Long Trip Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

With midterms stressing everyone out, we’re all looking forward to fall break coming up. However, the closer freedom gets, the further away it seems, and many Hamilton students will face one more obstacle once classes get out on Wednesday: a long trip home. I myself will be on a 4-5 hour bus ride to Boston, followed by another hour in the car. Others may have long flights, endless train rides, or too many hours in the car. Here are some tips to keep yourself entertained, or at least sane, if you have to spend several hours in transit. 

1. First of all, prepare

Dress comfortably, because there’s nothing worse than sitting for hours in tight jeans or an itchy sweater. Use layers, so you can adjust if your train/plane/bus is hotter or colder than you expected. Do your best to pack well ahead of time and get to wherever you need to be with time to spare and your tickets prepared, so you’re not out of breath and stressed out when you settle in for the trip. Rules will vary based on how you’re getting home, but bring whatever refreshments you can. Bring a water bottle so you don’t get dehydrated, and snacks since your trip might pass over a mealtime. Just be mindful of properly disposing of your trash, and maybe decide against anything that makes a mess, is complicated to eat (soup on a wobbly train = no), or smells very strongly. 

2. Chat with the person next to you

Maybe you’re lucky enough to be going part of the way (or the whole way) with a friend. Lucky you! You can carry on with conversation as you normally would, pretending you’re just hanging out in one of your dorm rooms, or play the alphabet game like you would in elementary school. 

If you don’t know the person next to you… well, let’s be real. No one wants to feel like they have to spend hours becoming best friends with a stranger. But your ride will feel more comfortable if you spend a few minutes talking at the beginning and getting to know each other, even if it’s just basics like where you’re each heading home to. And who knows, maybe you will end up making a new friend! 

3. Talk to people far away from you 

Text your mom how excited you are to see her. Ask your friends who are staying on campus how the food at Commons is. If you have friends from home who will be there at the same time as you will, spend time on your trip making plans for when you’ll get to see each other. Scroll through social media and catch up with people you haven’t talked to in a while. This is a great opportunity for virtual communication, because you actually have time and there are few distractions. 

4. Catch up on reading or Netflix 

As a lit major, I love to read, but I even procrastinate the things I enjoy. I tell myself I shouldn’t focus on the books I’m reading for pleasure until I’ve caught up on reading for class, but I put that off until last minute and then don’t have time for my outside reading. Or, I spend so much time reading for school that I just want to do something else, even if I enjoy the book. Whatever your major, if you like to read, you probably don’t have ample time to do it while school is in session. If it doesn’t make you car sick, traveling a long way is a great opportunity for reading. And of course, you have to catch up on your TV shows too. I somewhat recently discovered Jane the Virgin, and have quite a few episodes to go. 

5. Get some work done

Okay, I know. You’re so relieved to finally have a break from homework and studying. Why would you ever keep doing it? 

Like I said, the trip home is your final obstacle. I have a sense of relief when I get on the bus, but I don’t really feel like I’m on break until I set foot in my house. Furthermore, you probably do have some work, reading, or studying that has to be done before returning to school. Instead of cutting into your time at home, why not get some done on the way? 

6. Put in your headphones 

Download the new album you’ve been meaning to check out, and take up a good chunk of your trip really listening to it. Or, make a playlist of your favorite music or some mellow tunes that will make you not mind the long ride/flight so much. Put on sad songs and stare out the window like you’re in a music video, or play instrumentals as a nice backdrop for indulgent daydreaming as you imagine a hot date with the cutie from your bio lab, or graduating from Hamilton with your high-paying dream job already lined up. 

Alternatively, partake in an increasingly popular medium: podcasts. There are podcasts on a huge range of topics, so you can listen to someone teaching you something interesting, telling you a story, informing you about social issues, and more. 

7. Sleep! 

Long rides were made for this. You’re probably sleep-deprived from midterms, so it’s time to make up for that. It will also make the time go by much faster! Even if you’re somehow not particuarly tired, the lull of whatever vehicle you’re in, combined with the right Spotify playlist, can help you drift off, maybe even the whole way home. Bring a pillow with you, make sure you have your headphones, even grab an eye mask — whatever will make you comfy and cozy. 

8. If you’re driving… 

Some of these tips are clearly not safe if you’re behind the wheel! Here are some just for you: 

• Blast whatever music you want. If you’re not the only one in the car, you should consider your passengers’ preferences for genre and volume… but you are the one driving after all! Sing along at the top of your lungs, exercising your undoubtedly talented voice or just venting frustrations by screaming along to angsty songs or heavy metal. 
  • Take breaks. Rest stops may make your overall traveling time longer, sure, but they make it feel shorter by dividing it up. Stopping every once in a while will also ensure you don’t get so tired and stiff you make a mistake while driving, which could be dangerous. Stop every hour or two, using the restroom and getting a snack, or just stretching your limbs. 
  • Some of the above diversions could be helpful. You can play music or a podcast (without headphones!), call friends or family if you have a setup that lets you use the phone hands-free, or listen to an audiobook, for pleasure or for shcool, rather than reading a physical text. 

Have a safe trip home everyone, and enjoy fall break! If you’re staying on campus, enjoy the peace and quiet of most students being gone and not having to go to class! 

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.