Hogwarts at Hamilton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

This weekend a group of awesome students are bringing some magic to the Hill. They started out writing scripts and holding auditions for parts, and they’ve spent the last several weeks rehearsing entertaining scenes that combine familiar aspects of Hamilton with the magical world of Harry Potter – along with some other references.

Most of the time, Benedict Hall is just a run-of-the-mill academic building, but this weekend you can visit Potions or Charms instead of trying to stay awake through Calculus. Several classrooms are decorated to look like Hogwarts classrooms and common rooms, and are filled with props like cauldrons and floating feathers.

Earlier in the evening, they perform family shows that attract local kids and parents. The scenes from these shows are genuinely funny for people of all ages, and audience members get a chance to participate in the magic. They also have really cool merchandise for sale, including beautiful handmade wands, and lots more. You can even catch the college’s new president, David Wippman, performing as Professor Quirrell! A frowny-face on the back of his head makes a very convincing Voldemort. It was very cool to see a member of the administration, especially our new president, participate in the show with his students. He did a great job too! 

The later shows are not so family-friendly, but are certainly entertaining! I never expected to learn about wizard sex ed or a secret fourth unforgiveable curse, but it was lots of fun! I attended Defense Against the Dark Arts, Divination, a Gryffindor common room meeting, and more. 

Both versions of the show were really great, and definitely worth your time. Everyone involved did a fantastic job, and it’s clear they were all enthusiastic about what they were doing. The decorations, props, and costumes were awesome too. If you didn’t go last night, check it out tonight! We may never truly fulfill our dreams of attending Hogwarts, and Hamilton may not offer Transfiguration or Care of Magical Creatures as a major, but for an hour or so you can feel like you’re a wizard. 

Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.