Girls Review: Not So Daddy Dearest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

The 7th episode of the 2nd season of GIRLS started off on the wrong track (pun intended). We hadn’t heard much about Jessa’s family until this episode, and now we know why. In this episode, Jessa and Hannah head upstate to visit Jessa’s father and his lover. Their trip starts off with some great advice from Jessa, who advises Hannah to stick an entire clove of garlic up her vagina to cure her UTI (Thanks Jessa, we’ll take note of that- no vampires or UTIs for us). After they arrive, Jessa and Hannah are greeted lovingly by Jessa’s father and his girlfriend. In an attempt to fit in, Hannah does a really bad impression of a British accent (one of the funnier parts of the episode). Hannah and Petula, Jessa’s father’s girlfriend, bond over adorable bunnies, which they later eat for dinner (Hannah is disgusted by this and refuses to eat it). Another interesting character is brought into the picture when we meet Frank, Petula’s 19 year old son who looks like an uglier, 70s version of Shoshanna. When Frank’s friend Tyler shows up Hannah and Jessa unwillingly decide to go on what Hannah thinks to be a “sex-capade” (she was wrong). They end up recklessly driving around on whipets (good idea guys). Hannah jumps out of the car, runs into a cemetery, and proceeds to fuck Frank, the 19 year old. What he believes to be sex is really just him cumming in Hannah’s thigh crease. Hannah is disappointed to find out that Jessa and Tyler did not have sex (again, she wrongfully thought they were on a sex-capade). When they return to Jessa’s father’s house after an interesting evening, Jessa expresses her disappointment and sadness with the way she was raised, or lack there of. She’s very emotional and has a heart-to-heart with her dad, who does not take much responsibility for his actions. Jessa ditches Hannah and Hannah ends up heading back to the city alone. The episode ends with Hannah peeing along side the train tracks (for the second time) and calling her parents to express her appreciation for everything they have done for her.

We found this episode to be sad yet revealing. We were finally able to see where Jessa’s personality stems from. The way she is with men in general definitely seems to be a result of her daddy-issues (for example, her rash decision to marry Thomas John so quickly). We enjoyed getting a closer look into Jessa’s psyche. Hannah’s quirkiness added to the episode, as always. Overall, it was a telling episode but not as humorous as usual.

Talia Levine is a sophomore at Hamilton College. She is from Long Island, New York but recently moved to Brooklyn. Talia is a hispanic studies major and anticipates going abroad to Madrid next spring.
Emily Malter is a sophomore at Hamilton College majoring in Sociology and World Politics. Emily is from Westchester, New York.
Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.