Girls Review: Boys- Can’t Live with Them, But Mostly Can’t Live without Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Boys- Can’t Live with Them, but Mostly Can’t Live without Them

The 6th episode of the 2nd season of GIRLS begins with Hannah receiving the opportunity to write her own e-book, YAY! The catch is that she has to write the whole book within a month. Like all normal people, she freaks out and vomits. Ray, who is in need of his copy of Little Women given to him by his grandmother, goes to Adam’s apartment to retrieve it (to clarify, Hannah had left it in Adam’s bathroom because she reads it while on the toilet). When Ray arrives at Adam’s apartment he is surprised to see that there is a vicious, stolen dog being kept in Adam’s bathroom. Ray insists that they return the dog to its rightful owner on Staten Island. While the two are trekking to Staten Island to return the dog they get into a heated argument. Ray criticizes Hannah and Adam exclaims that Ray and Shoshanna are only in a relationship because Ray’s too scared to be in an adult relationship. Adam ends up storming off out of anger and Ray is left alone with the dog. Over looking the water, Ray and man’s best friend (the dog) have a sentimental moment in which Ray cries.

Meanwhile, drama is stirring up between Marnie and Booth Jonathan. Booth Jonathan asks Marnie to host a party with him. Marnie thinks this means they’re hosting a party as a couple, but Booth Jonathan was just intending to have Marnie work at his party. During the party, when Booth Jonathan asks how much Marnie would like to be paid Marnie realized that Booth Jonathan does not think of her as his girlfriend, but just an employee. She throws a fit and leaves. At the end of the episode, Marnie calls Hannah and they both act as though their lives are going perfectly, when in fact they are both miserable. 

Just wondering, is Marnie a human or an alien? The dress she wore to Booth Jonathan’s party looked like it was straight from another planet. Also, where was Shosh? She made a very brief appearance in this episode and her hairstyle was whack. Jessa was pretty MIA as well- we just got to see her in a depressed state for a few moments. One of our favorite parts of this episode was seeing a sensitive and soft side of Ray; this is something we haven’t seen much of. The episode ended on a rather sad note with Marnie and Hannah lying to each other about how their lives are going. We hope that the two can rekindle the flame in the near future- we hate to see them like this!

Emily Malter is a sophomore at Hamilton College majoring in Sociology and World Politics. Emily is from Westchester, New York.
Talia Levine is a sophomore at Hamilton College. She is from Long Island, New York but recently moved to Brooklyn. Talia is a hispanic studies major and anticipates going abroad to Madrid next spring.
Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.