Family Weekend Survival Guide: 10 Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Balloons hang from signs, campus gets prim and proper, emails are sent—the time is upon us (i.e., it’s Family Weekend on the Hill).  Not so sure how to have a painless, enjoyable day—having planned nothing and no longer having the option of attending a home football game for a large portion of the day (not okay)—or how to appreciate each moment you have to share with your visiting family members?  Here are some helpful suggestions that’ll turn the stereotypically agonizing awk-fest with college-ignorant parents into a weekend for cherishing your relationship together…

1. Do give your parents a tour of Hammy—but not the generic tour they got when you first visited Hamilton. Show them your favorite part of Light Side to hang with your friends and where your classes are.

2. Don’t expect to just walk around campus all day with your parents.  Check out local cafes for lunch, like Café J, and book a reservation at a hot dining location for dinner.  Look online to see what Hamilton is offering for Family Weekend—for example, Saturday is Glen Appreciation Day!  Take a walk with your folks while sipping cider from the Cider Mill!

3. Do plan a seasonal clothing swap.  Tell your ‘rents what winter weather stuff you need (yes, need NOW) from home, and say goodbye to your short shorts and bright colored tanks.

4. Don’t leave your room a mess. You really don’t want your parents to spend Family Weekend nagging you about your sloppiness…that’ll just suggest to them that you aren’t at all put together or a mature young adult.

5. Do introduce your parents to your friends. It’s shows your parents what your life outside of classes is like and will help them put names to faces when you tell them about your social life while at school.

6. Don’t tell your parents everything about everyone.  Mom and Dad don’t need—or want—to know that the boy you just waved to was that guy your roommate slept with many times this semester…

7. Do self-indulge in the visit.  Get dinner at a nice restaurant you’ve always wanted to check out but have never been able to fork up the cash for.  Visit Krizia Martin, and tell your parents how you’ve been dying for a Hamilton Patagonia or Vineyard Vines sweater for the winter.

8. Don’t ditch your friend whose parents aren’t visiting…They are lonely enough after seeing everyone else with their families! Invite your friend to join your family for lunch or dinner. It’s a really great opportunity for your parents to get to know one of your friends better and will earn you major friend points—perhaps even your friend will return the favor next time his or her parents are in town!

9. Do expect to answer a ton of questions, from “How are you liking your Shakespeare class?” to “Why haven’t you started looking for an internship?”  Instead of getting overly annoyed and argumentative, try to plan out calm, reasonably thorough answers to a spectrum of questions so that you can avoid rambling or having a hostile attitude.  

(aaaand last but certainly not least) 10. Don’t forget to tell your parents that you love and miss them. You shouldn’t act like their visit is keeping you from other things you’d rather be doing.  Though we love living on the Hill during the school year,  our place with them really is “home.” Remember to give the folks a hug and show them how much you appreciate them, even if you don’t want to say it. After all, they’re here to see you.

Kaitlin is an English and Art History double-major at Hamilton College.