david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Best Things to Do With Your Boo on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Ahh, Halloween. A holiday widely popularized because of the promise of free candy, a show of colorful costumes, and of course, the chance to get spooky. As kids, we thought the candy was the most exciting feature of the night. However, once we became college students and realized what else Halloween is good for, candy certainly didn’t become the only thing that we wanted to eat up at the end of the night.

Movies and media have already given us plenty of portrayals of what single people do on Halloween: dress up, go out, maybe find a partner for the end of the night. But what about couples? Couples are different from single people in that they can come up with ways to spend Halloween – or any holiday for that matter – in ways that make it special for them. For example, some couples have experienced many Halloweens together and know just what to do to make the night a truly freaky one. But others are new in a relationship, or just haven’t found something mutually enjoyable on special nights like Halloween.  

These few ideas for things to do on Halloween with your significant other will hopefully help you out in developing your own special Halloween routine and make your night a fun one:

1. The first piece of advice I want to offer is for the newbies. Halloween presents a great opportunity to make the first move. I mean, come on, the wordplay you can take advantage of is so diverse it’s almost too easy. Guys, if there’s a girl you like or who you’ve been talking to for a while, take advantage of this thematic holiday and ask her out with something cute and quirky like “Will you be my boo?” Yes, I know it’s corny, but girls love that! Plus there are plenty of other clever ways you could bring it up. It’s silly and fun plus it embraces the spirit of Halloween. Thinking of some cute way to deliver it might help too, like writing it on a Halloween cookie or in a pumpkin carving. You’ll give her a pleasant surprise plus carved pumpkins and/or Halloween cookies, and who doesn’t want that?

2. My second piece of advice I have is for those who are further into a relationship. Get closer and enjoy each other’s company on Halloween by watching a scary movie and baking Pillsbury sugar cookies. Guys, the scary movie gives you a chance to hold her and girls, you get to feel super close to your man. Plus Pillsbury cookies are super easy to make so there’s no chance the night will be ruined by a house going up in flames. Doing this gives you a chance to share each other’s embrace and food – and what else perfectly makes up a happy relationship?

3. My third piece of advice goes back to the fundamentals of Halloween: dressing up. Doing it with your partner gives you a lot more choices though. You can both act silly and twin your costumes – that way when you go out you’ll be remembered as that one adorable couple, plus the pictures you take will be fun to look back on – or you can act separately and surprise each other with some jaw-droppingly sexy costumes fitting in exactly the right places. This option is a good one because after you lay eyes on each other for the first time, ideas of what else to do to occupy time for the night will most likely come quite quickly.

Now of course, there is always the notoriously popular festivity that most teens make the subject of holiday exploitation: partying. And honestly, there’s nothing wrong with it; in fact, parties are about 1000 times more enjoyable if you have that one super close person there with you. So go out, wear those astonishingly flattering costumes and have a night out with your boo. You both can see each other look good and share one of the best feelings a teen could ever feel: the euphoria of an amazing party.

Halloween is a very fun holiday. Whether you’re with your significant other or with your best friends, there’s something that everyone can enjoy. Either way, the most important thing is that everyone has a great time. Hopefully these little tricks will reward you with lots of treats for the night and make the spooky moments worth the thrill.

Kayla White

Hamilton '21

A recent Hamilton grad from Jersey! Write on.
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.