The Best Classes at Hamilton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

The dreaded period of class registration is upon us for Fall 2013, and stress is mounting as we meet with adviors and professors to try and get the perfect class schedule. Whether you’ve got everything picked out and planned or are still struggling to find two more classes, check out this list of great classes and comments about them gathered from an assortment of real Hamilton students! The departments appear in alphabetical order and there are a range of different class levels and topics. Click through the pages to see your favorite departments!

Africana Studies:

History of Jazz with Michael “Doc” Woods

What students said: “Great survey of early American music/culture/race/history. Plus, you get to listen to music for most of the class + hear Doc’s philosophical pseudo-ramblings. What’s not to like?”

Post-Conflict Truth, Reconciliation and Social Justice: South Africa and Rwanda with Angel Nieves

What students said: “Literally, inspired my major, my desire to go abroad, and my thesis! The topics are far ranging and the class is intense but Professor Nieves facilitates in-depth and challenging discussions that force all students in the class to think critically about their positionality in relation to various global conflicts.”

Anthropology:

Any class with Professor Ladousa

What students said: “Such fun classes, super relaxed environment, he lets you tailor the class and material (especially the final project) to what you want.”

Phonetics and Phonology with Bonnie Urciuoli

What students said: “The professor is great, she is very passionate and knowledgeable about the information. She makes the class really interesting and fun. I would definitely recommend it.”

Biology:

Anatomy with Histology with Professor Miller

What students said: “As hard as this class is (and as discouraging the grades can be), this class makes you think in a whole new way and Professor Miller isn’t afraid to push you to (and beyond…) your limit.”

[pagebreak]

Chinese:

110, 120, 130, or 140 with Xu, Zhou, Hou, Chen, Xue, or Wang

What students said: “It’s like no other class in terms of classroom and professor interactions and teaching style!”

Comparative Literature:

Rethinking the Romance with Nancy Rabinowitz

What students said: “Nancy is brilliant and shatters your assumptions and judgements – conscious and subconscious.”

Literature and Ethics with Peter Rabinowitz

What students said: “This course really forces you to think critically about why you believe what you do.”

Computer Science:

Python with Professor Campbell

What students said: “This class was really fun and you get to make a game as your final project!”

Intro to Computer Science with Professor Bailey or Professor Campbell

What students said: “Bailey and Campbell are both great, but Campbell is a bit easier. Having a basic understanding of programming is the single most useful skill you can acquire with one class at hammy. Helps any resume, useful in most fields.”

[pagebreak]

English:

Shakespeare with Professor Strout

What students said: “Strout is a badass. So is Shakespeare. But mostly Strout.”

British and American Drama with Professor Strout

What students said: “It was an amazing class. It was engaging and taught me so much. Not to mention Professor Strout is hands-down the best professor I have had at Hamilton.”

Intro to Creative Writing with Jane Springer

What students said: “It taught me how to write poetry and fiction and forced me to keep a journal. Best thing a teacher has ever done for me.”

“It’s awesome. For so many reasons.”

Environmental Studies:

Nature and Technology with Wyatt Galusky

What students said: “Changed my thoughts on human progress and everyday objects. Life changing. Galusky is brilliant.”

Environmental Ethics with Professor Doran

What students said: “This was an incredible class that taught me a lot about philosophical theory and also applied it to extremely interesting issues such as: global hunger, factory farming and the industrial food system, “food miles,” animal rights, the intrinsic value of nature, and concepts of wilderness. I also just LOVE Professor Doran – she’s my on-campus mom!”

[pagebreak]

French:

Is Paris Burning? with Cheryl Morgan

What students said: “I got to know Professor Morgan really well and she was very accommodating. She made me feel like an old friend of hers.”

French 110 with Professor Aureilie

What students said: “It was awesome.”

Government:

International Relations with Timothy Lehmann

What students said: “Ted Lehmann is to classes at Hamilton what Steve Jobs is to consumer electronics”

“It inspired me to become a world politics major and further cultivated my interest in current events and foreign policy. International Relations is a great way for people to learn about why the world is the way it is today and challenges we face in the future. I found it completely fascinating!”

History:

Any class with Professor Ambrose

What students said: “Take anything he teaches. He changed my life (and my major)!”

Study of Western Civilization with Robert Paquette

What students said: “Excellent professor.”

[pagebreak]

Math:

Real Analysis with Kantrowitz

What students said: “I sat in on this class and it convinced me to come to Hamilton. Professor Kantrowitz manages to make advanced mathematics intellectually challenging (there are different sizes of infinity!!) and fun (references include snuggies). He is also one of the funniest, most caring, genuine professors I’ve met and an integral part of my Hamilton experience.”

Music:

Music in American Film with Professor Hamessley

What students said: “It’s incredible and Lydia is astonishingly brilliant.”

Philosophy:

Theory of Non Violence with Rick Werner:

What students said: “Taking a class with Rick Werner is like taking a class with Gandalf or Dumbledore. He’s a modern day sage.”

Contemporary Moral Issues with Rick Werner

What students said: “It was a truly eye-opening experience, as I effectively learned different ways of thinking and approaching the numerous problems our society faces today. Rick is an extremely open-minded and insightful professor who is genuinely interested in enriching our critical thinking process and helping us form a complete understanding of any issue we face. I highly recommend it as an intro class, as the skills you can take from it will be invaluable regardless of what field you decide to enter. Also, it’s the s**t.”

Intro to Existentialism with Todd Franklin

What students said: “Changes your outlook on life.”

“As someone who isn’t really philosophically minded, I was surprised how much I loved this class. It really blended into my life and I still find myself thinking about things from different angles because of this class.”

Symbolic Logic with Russell Marcus

What students said: “Makes philosophy easy and approachable for non-majors, especially great if you are at all mathematically inclined, plus Russell is the best.”

[pagebreak]

Psychology:

Counseling Psychology with David Walden

What students said: “If you like psych, this is SO incredibly hands on and different from any other class. You literally can practice being a therapist and you learn so much about the history of therapy and newer models of therapy.”

“The only class I’ve ever taken where you leave feeling more relaxed than when you came in. David is the greatest man alive.”

“David is an amazing professor. Class with him each week was like a therapy session in and of itself. He’s also understanding and flexible when it comes to different work styles.”

Introduction to Psychology with Professor Weldon

What students said: “This class was very informative. I learned a lot and absolutely loved the class. I switched by major to neuroscience because of it!”

Sociology:

Self and Society with Dan Chambliss

What students said: “It’s like watching standup. The topics are interesting, often hilarious, and he gives the best examples from his own life.”

“Different outlooks!”

“The Self in Society material is interesting, thought-provoking and relevant to real life. Professor Chambliss is an engaging lecturer too.”

Sociology of Higher Education with Professor Lee

What students said: “Professor Lee is amazing and you will learn a lot in this class about things related to your own life, such as hooking up in college, college admissions, and jobs after graduation.”

[pagebreak]

Religious Studies:

Religion in Film with Stephenson Humphries-Brooks

What students said: “Religion in Film may sound soft, but it is thoroughly enjoyable and thought-provoking. Professor Humphries-Brooks is passionate, knowledgeable, and interesting.”

Theater:

Theater 101 with Mark Cryer

What students said: “It is without a doubt one of Hamilton’s most recommended classes. It invokes everything that a Hamilton education is about: critical thinking, presentation skills, writing skills, logic, fun, and most importantly, knowing thyself.”

“You cannot go wrong with this class or Mark. Theater person or not, this class is for everyone who wants to challenge themselves to grow as a person.”

Women’s Studies:

Intro to Women’s Studies with Professor Barry

What students said: “Regardless of whether you are a boy or girl, this is the most applicable class to your life on the Hill you could take. I think about things I learned in women’s studies every single day.”

Intro to Women’s Studies with Anne Lascamana

What students said: “This class not only deals with issues of gender and sexism, but it touches upon issues spanning across every social issue in the book. It addresses racism, abilism, classism, and so much more. We talk about EVERYONE, blacks, whites, men, women, straight, gay, disabled, able-bodied. It’s taught me so much about life in general and how huge of an effect I have on those around me. I’ve learned so much in this class. It’s hard and she’s a tough grader. I will by no means be getting an A in this class. But I’ve really enjoyed it and highly recommend it to everyone at Hamilton, guy or girl!”

“I recommend this class because it not only focuses on the inequalities of genders in society, but also heterosexism, ability, class, and race. I have become extremely passionate about gender equality and this class is definitely a reason for that. I believe that there should be a larger number of males in these intro classes because it is important for everyone, not only females, to be more aware of the patriarchal society we live in today.”

Intro to Women’s Stuides with Professor Adair

What students said: “Not very hard, very insightful.”

Courtney is a sophomore at Hamilton College who is majoring Psychology and minoring in Sociology and Spanish. She enjoys tour guiding, writing, and living on the dark side.