8 of the Best Dorm Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

So it’s 3 am and you really need a midnight snack, or maybe it’s 2 in the afternoon and you need some energy for homework, or maybe you’re just really darn hungry. When the time comes around, you’re going to need some snacks on hand to appease your growling stomach. I, personally, am a huge fan of snacks, snacking – anything that involves bite-size or easy-to-make food is right up my alley. I consider myself an expert on the front of college dorm snacks, so I’m here to offer my sound advice on what makes the perfect snack – for anytime of the day.

1. Soup:

Soup? You might be confused. How is soup a snack? Well, the first lesson here is that anything can be a snack if you want it to be. Second of all, I have recently discovered to-go containers of soup that you can pop in the microwave for 2 minutes and then enjoy while running (well, maybe not running) to class or while cozying up in bed and watching Netflix. Trust me on this one. Soup is the best. 

2. Popcorn:

Popcorn. All the popcorn. However, I would not recommend making popcorn in the middle of the night … let’s just say your roommate might not appreciate being woken up to the sound of popping kernels. But at any other time of the day it’s a-okay! I like to tell myself popcorn is healthy – and a lot of the time it is, if it’s made without the pounds of butter and salt, but then what fun is it anyway? It’s a perfect dorm snack. Companies have even started making exciting new flavors like rosemary parmesan! And then there’s always the classic kettle corn if you’re looking for something a little sweeter. Whatever you go for, you can’t go wrong with popcorn. 

3. Apples:

Apples and… basically anything. I never appreciated the beauty of an apple in high school. I only discovered its powers of versatility once I came to college, but now I know the truth. Everything tastes good with apples. My personal favorite is caramel and apples, which is a classic, as is peanut butter and apples, but an unexpected discovery has been the combination of cookie butter and apples. Don’t know what cookie butter is? Look it up right now and buy a whole crate. You won’t regret it. 

4. As an extension of the last suggestion… cookie butter. Lots of it. 

5. Granola bars:

Bleh… boring… only if you absolutely need to. 

6. Hot chocolate:

Hot chocolate. Hot chocolate. Hot chocolate. I cannot say this enough times. 
It is almost a whole meal in itself. It is goodness, joy and love. It is everything a college 
student needs. It’s the only thing you’ll ever need. 

7. Oreos and string cheese:

Not together obviously. Or maybe together if that’s your vibe. But 
I’ve met a surprising amount of people who happen to have both string cheese and oreos in 
their college snack supply so they seem like related snacks in my mind now. 

8. Your roommate’s snacks: 

How come your roommate’s snacks always taste better than 
yours? They could be the exact same thing but yet I would always rather have theirs. Just don’t let them catch you snooping. 

Maria Orlandi is a freshman at Hamilton College interested in studying Creative Writing, Psychology and Art.
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.