5 Songs You Need to Survive College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

That horrendous and self-pitying feeling that almost every college student feels at three in the morning when cramming for an exam or writing a daunting paper is almost nothing short of being added to the list of credit requirements needed to graduate. Indeed, parents, older siblings, upperclassmen, professors, mentors, and more have told us all that the college experience hasn’t truly been achieved until we’ve suffered the prolonged and bitter misery of an all-nighter. And maybe that’s true, and maybe one all-nighter won’t be enough to keep us regretting our college decision, but some people are constantly pulling all-nighters. Sometimes a workload can just be too tough to tackle in the daytime hours and have to be completed at night. It is for these students that this article is for. I’ve got a solution for you that may make those long nights bearable and fun.

Besides food, music is something that is guaranteed to turn some of your worst moods into better ones. I mean think about it – how many times do you just feel the urge to plug in some headphones and zone out from the rest of the world when you’re in a particularly bad mood? Most of the time. That is why I offer these songs that will get you out of the funk of self-pity and into the funk of the beat:

1. “This Girl” – Kungs vs. Cookin’ on 3 Burners

This song is absolutely wonderful. It has an irresistible beat and a cheerful melody that just makes you smile when you hear it and dance when you feel it. If ever you’re in a bad mood about a test or a fight you had with a friend, this is a song to groove to.

2. Get You (feat. Kali Uchis) – Daniel Caesar

This could not be a more perfect song to escape to. If you’re looking to calm down, get out of your head, and soak in positive vibes, the ethereal and sweet intonations of Daniel Caesar will do the trick (as a matter of fact, his whole album, Freudian, shares the same serenity as this song, so if you ever need to relax for a long period of time, play this album straight through).

3. Frank Ocean

Just Frank Ocean. Any of his songs will do. Not only is Frank perfect for relieving any kind of tension throughout college, but he will also ultimately make your whole life better with his nuanced tonality and flawless tracks.

4. III. Urn – Childish Gambino

This peaceful, tranquil interlude will put your mind at ease and allow you to daydream, distracting you from all that encumbers your mind.

5. Wild Thoughts (feat Rihanna & Bryson Tiller) – DJ Khaled

Everyone’s heard this one. If you haven’t, you’re welcome. This song is also irresistible. In a successful remix of Santana’s Maria Maria, this song compels anyone to get up, dance, sing along, and enjoy life. Perfect if anything is getting you down.

These are only five of the many, many songs that can get you through those really hard days and nights at school. These songs are fool-proof; however, if you ever need something a bit more refreshing, try shuffling your own music library. Some old song that you haven’t heard in a while may start playing that will surprise you out of your dejected state and cheer you up. I have done this on numerous occasions and have found that it works 95% of the time – I even do it when I’m in a good mood just to elevate my happiness to an even higher level of euphoria!

With these songs now in your music library, there is no challenge in college that you can’t overcome. If you ever really need a pick-me-up, combine listening to music and eating food. The content you will feel after pleasing both your ears and your stomach will make any strenuous ordeal truly feel more like a piece of cake.

With that said, best of luck with all the schoolwork, and happy listening!

Kayla White

Hamilton '21

A recent Hamilton grad from Jersey! Write on.
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.