2012 Presidential Election Recap: The Results

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

Although the 2012 Presidential Election was extremely close, it was called pretty early into the evening that President Obama would be serving a second term in office. In particular, Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Colorado, and Virginia were particularly close races in which each vote counted. In the end, President Obama received 332 electoral votes, surpassing the 270 vote requirement to win the race.

Election Results

Candidate Popular vote Percentage Electoral votes (270 to win)

Barack Obama 62156980 51% 332

Mitt Romney 58805060 48% 206

Control of House
218 Balance of power

195

233

Control of Senate
50 Balance of power

53

45

^courtesy of Google

Composition of the Government:

In 2013, there will still be a mixed government with the Democrats controlling the executive branch and the Senate and Republicans keeping control of the House. Generally, the Congress freshmen less moderate than in the past, and the U.S. can expect debates to be more partisan than ever. For the first time, the House Democrats do not have a white male majority, with more minorities and women elected than ever before. White men will sit in about 90% of the Republican seats, while just 47% of Democratic seats will have white men. 

Referendums:

Recreational marijuana use has now been legalized in both Colorado and Washington and medicinal marijuana is now legal in Massachusetts. Same-sex marriage is now legal in Maryland, Washington and Maine. This demonstrates an increasing trend toward social liberalism.

Women in Congress:

Many records regarding women in Congress were broken this year: the 113th Congress will have 20 female senators, the most ever in U.S. history. Both houses of Congress will have record-high numbers of females.

Mazie Hirono made history as the the first Asian-American female, first Buddhist and first Japeanese-born senator. 

In Wisconsin, Democratic representative Tammy Baldwin became the first open lesbian U.S. senator when she defeated former governor Tommy Thompson. 

In Hawaii, 31-year-old Tulsi Gabbard was elected as the first Hindu member of Congress.

Additionaly, New Hampshire is the first state to have all women in top elected official positions. The focus on women’s issues in this campaign may have fueled more women to participate in the election and vote for more female representation.

Divide of Women Vote between candidates:

▶ Obama ▶ Romney ▶ Other

Divide of Gender in Electorate:

▶ Voting Men
▶ Voting Women