This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Hello lovelies, and welcome back to my blog! 

The gym can be highly intimidating whether you haven’t been due to the pandemic or because it’s your first time giving your fitness life a try. Or maybe, it’s because you’re simply a girl. Being a girl is hard, but I promise you’re not alone. 

By no means am I an expert on dominating the gym, but there are some ways that you could take care of yourself and minimize that fear of working on your body in front of others. This is based on my prior experiences in the gym, and I was inspired to write this, because of something that happened to me recently.  

A key thing when going to the gym is finding some motivation to go to your preffered workout setting. Do not ever feel bad if you have to take a day off because of too much homework or a work shift, or because you just really are not feeling it. One day is not going to hurt you, but do remember that consistency is key. Without having the motivation to work out, you won’t be getting the full potential of that workout. 

One thing I like to do is write out affirmations or tell them to myself. Affirmations are a great way to get yourself in a positive mindset while also giving yourself a bit of self-love. Things like “I am beautiful. I love my body the way she is and I am just taking care of her. I am and will always be enough,” will go a long way. Daily reminders like these help push you to have that motivation to workout and it will eventually change the way you see yourself. You will develop a more positive outlook on yourself, boosting your self-esteem and confidence anywhere you go.  

Now down to the wardrobe part. I realize there is this stigma where you have to wear two pieces to the gym to make it seem like you know what you are doing. The reality is, wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. I have worked out my whole life and use baggy clothes to do that, and that is okay. Do not compare yourself to others and do your own thing. I know that is easier said than done which is why you should wear what makes you comfortable. Whenever you dress good, you feel good and that applies to the gym as well! 

Something that helps me be more confident in the gym is writing out my workouts beforehand. If you are new to the gym, that is okay and I definitely recommend it. You can easily look up workouts on Google or Youtube and perform them at the gym with weights and other equipment. When it comes to weight, if you are a beginner, start light or with pure body weight. You do not want to hurt yourself right when you start! By planning out what you wanna work on, you go in with a sense of control and empowerment that you are going to conquer your workout. A bit dramatic there, but I promise lovelies, that you’re going to feel the difference when you do and do not plan your workouts ahead.

Lastly, do this for you! Do not let anybody or anything get in the way of your workouts! You are wonderful just the way you are and this is just a plus. Do not let anyone intimidate you in the gym, because they were once just like you. You have worth and have every right to step in that space. Keep track of your progress and reward yourself. You deserve it after all that hard work. Do not do this to impress a guy or because you want to look like somebody. Instead do this for you, your health, and your well-being. 

These are some of the things that I always keep in mind before going to the gym and what I do to prepare. There is other stuff you can do like eating cleaner foods and drinking more water which is 100% great as well. However, I wanted to address some small details that are not talked about often. I hope this helps you all in some sort of way, take care!

Alejandra is a current junior at the George Washington University studying journalism and mass communication. She is originally from Dallas, Texas but her roots are from Mexico. She hopes to one day break into the world of sports and become a sideline reporter and broadcaster for the NFL!