This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Beyond potentially fitting with your dark academia or cottagecore aesthetic, handwriting letters is a wonderful pastime, and it’s also a great way to keep in touch with friends at other schools. As a current Freshman in her first semester of college, I understand the struggle to stay connected to the friends you grew up with. Maybe they are across the country in a different time zone, or you both have busy schedules and can never send more than a quick text. Here’s why I think you should consider sending them a letter.

Collect cute postcards

We’ve all seen dorm rooms covered in polaroids of friends, let’s make the new look walls full of postcards. Postcards are a quick way to say “thinking of you!” while also sending them something for their wall. You can send individual or entire postcard sets of your new city. I like the ones from Cavallini & Co, but you can buy them almost anywhere.

More Personal

As much as we want to facetime our friends every day, that doesn’t always fit in our schedules. We cannot also wish them happy birthday in person or give them congratulations, but a handmade and handwritten card is more touching than a text. It’s a great way to let someone know they are still important to you even as you’re far apart

It’s Relaxing

Let’s face it, we may be back on campus, but we’re still staring at a screen pretty much all day. Taking the time to make a little doodle or jot down a quick note can be a much needed break. It gives you a mental brain break from your school work and you can start a new hobby collecting stationary or practicing calligraphy.

Molly is a freshman studying political science at George Washington University where she is a member of the Honors College.