This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

1. When buying books, there is no comparable browsing experience to a physical store.

You have the ability to look at (relatively) small selection of titles and find new, interesting novels. Recommendations on websites will only give you options for books similar to what you are reading. If you like multiple genres, if you are looking to try something different, or if you want to read something from a first-time author, online spaces cannot deliver.

2. Physical bookstores give jobs to people who love and promote reading.

Readers are in charge of the physical space where others can buy and enjoy books. Curated shelving and events allow for the circulation of hidden literary gems. In my experience, other readers have created magical spaces because they understand the power of books.

3. You can sell, gift, or lend a physical book.

I understand that some ebook platforms are playing with the idea of lending a book to a friend, but the technology is not quite there yet. With a physical book, you are in charge of how and where another person reads it. You can also sell a book to a used bookstore after you are done with it. Additionally, books make for lovely gifts. 

4. The physical object has multiple purposes.

They can serve as a collector’s item. Books can be used to fill a space, bring color to rooms, and otherwise aesthetically improve living accommodations. Books can also be used as a small table for food and drink on beds. Books can create an improvised stand for most things. Books can be used to create towers, walls, or other fun structures. Books can also provide comfort through their sentimental value. 

5. Books provide entertainment and information without a technological barrier.

Don’t get me wrong, I love television, video games, and even e-books. I spend most of my waking moments on a computer or phone. I do not think it is healthy to romanticize a past without technology. I do however enjoy physical books. They never need to charge. If you are in another country or a place without internet, books still work. If you are hiking, or on the beach, or just outside, you don’t have to worry about getting a book wet or dirty or damaged (of course, I don’t mind stained pages, or water-warped books because that doesn’t negate a book’s readability). I love that no matter what happens to the technology around me I will always have a book. 

Gif source: https://giphy.com, Photo source:https://www.nationalgeographic.com/content/dam/travel/photos/000/064/922…