What I Wish I Knew Before Recruitment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

If you’re a freshman, sophomore, or transfer student in college, chances are you have encountered Greek life on campus and wondered if it’s for you. While not for everyone, perhaps the talk of sisterhood and philanthropic activities has convinced you to “rush,” or go through sorority recruitment. The process can be nerve-wracking and bring up a whole set of dilemmas—what should I wear? What should I say? What if the sorority I like drops me? HerCampus GWU has sought out the advice of girls that are involved in a variety of Greek organizations on campus and asked them: “What do you wish you’d known before recruitment?”

“What you wear is not as important as you think. A conversation matters a lot more than which shoes match with your dress best…”

“Talk about subjects that truly interest you—like traveling, or reading or volunteer work. Whatever it is! Almost everyone has lived in Thurston, so talking about something that’s unique to you as an individual is a lot more fun for both parties involved in the conversation.”

“Trust the system. You’ll end up in the right sorority. Although you may go into recruitment with your heart set on a specific sorority, it’s important to keep your mind open.”

Lucy, ‘16

“Get rid of all expectations or reputations you have heard. Instead, come in with an open mind, ready to be yourself and trust your gut. Before recruitment, I had a few sororities in mind that I thought I was going to want to join, all based on the little information I already knew about them. But as each night of recruitment passed, it turned out that those weren’t actually the groups I wanted to be in. I knew which sorority was for me when I was able to look around the room and see girls I could be friends with, who did similar activities and shared my values.”

Hannah, ‘16

“The system will work out in your favor. What I mean by this is don’t go into a party with misperceptions and rumors clouding your judgment—it’s not fair to you or the sororities. Keep your options open, and have fun.” 

“Don’t wear your highest heels or your tightest skirt. Recruitment is long and tiring so look great but be comfortable! “

“Let the conversation flow. Speak from your heart and don’t come prepared with things to say or talk about– if the flow isn’t there then it just may not be right for you.”

Lauren, ‘16

“A really great tip I got before rush was, don’t name drop. Saying you know this girl and that girl in a certain sorority is not going to impress her other sisters. Also, just because you do have friends in a certain chapter does not mean that it will be a good fit for you. Every person is different and needs to find the chapter she feels most comfortable in. You can always be friends with someone outside of your chapter.”

Samantha, ‘15

HerCampus GWU wishes all girls going through recruitment best of luck!