From Valentine’s Day to ‘Gal’entine’s: Forget the Date and Throw a Party Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Valentine’s Day: some love it, and some hate it. Beneath the seemingly harmless layers of lacy valentines, delicious chocolates, and red roses, this day has a darker side: it hits you over the head with your relationship status.

With that said, it does not have to be a happy holiday for couples and a sad one for those living the single life. No one wants to be Jennifer Garner á la 2010 movie Valentine’s Day, taking out your frustrations with your love life by smashing a heart-shaped piñata. That is more than a little crazy. If you are happy being single and happy in your own life, then February 14th does not need to be a depressing day. It can be a day like any other – or you can make it the celebration you want it to be.

So forget the fancy dates, expensive jewelry, and sappy cards. Whether you are single or not, take the opportunity to put a new spin on Valentine’s Day and celebrate a different kind of relationship: the one you have with your friends.

Even when it seems like the only men that are fixtures in your life are good old Ben & Jerry, you always have your girls. In many ways, friendships are the most dependable relationships you can hope to find, and it is a shame that no one seriously celebrates a holiday for that alone. Whether it is your roommates, neighbors, classmates, sorority sisters, teammates, or literally anyone else, these women are your best friends, your confidantes, your therapists, and your biggest supporters.

This Valentine’s Day, think about taking the opportunity to celebrate the Samanthas, Charlottes, and Mirandas in your life. Organize a gathering with your closest friends; bring cupcakes, rosé wine, and a few non-rom-com movies. Put a spin on the classic Secret Santa and do a Secret Cupid, with everyone exchanging crazy pairs of underwear.

There is more than one way to love someone: maybe romantically, or maybe as a lifelong friend. Don’t like Valentine’s Day? The answer is simple. Galentine’s Day can be just as fun, and maybe more meaningful.

Carly Buchanan is a member of the class of 2015 at the George Washington University, where she is a journalism and mass communication major at the School of Media and Public Affairs. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a communications intern, guest contributor for Green Connections Media, and member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. She spent the Fall 2013 semester studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and currently resides in Washington, D.C. Passionate about music, especially hits of the '90's, Carly also prides herself on her New England roots and mental catalog of rom-com knowledge.  You can find her on Twitter at @buchanan_carly.