Upgrade your DC Date Night

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Meeting someone is hard. Dating someone can be harder. After swiping right, having a good conversation or meeting at a party, where do you go from there? 

Even with an abundance of options for fun and exciting things to do in DC, sometimes we’ll just end up “netflix and chill”-ing with our new boo. While I am a strong proponant for staying at home and chilling with your significant other, sometimes in order to get to know someone you should spice it up and actually make plans (especially when you’re living in DC where there are so many great date ideas just around the corner.) 

Here are a few ways you can update your date night (these can also be great roomate-bonding or best friend date night ideas!): 

1. You could order chinese food….

OR you can learn how to make dumplings at Ping Pong Dim Sum

Every month the restuarant holds ‘Master Classes’ at their DuPont restuarant, check their website and Twitter for information on when they’re happening! 

2. You could go to the movies…

OR you can skip the Regal and AMC and instead go see an independent film at one of the many Landmark Cinemas throughout DC. 

If independent films aren’t your thing, you could go to the Smithsonian IMAX theatre. It is one of the biggest (six stories tall!) and highest-defintion screens on the east coast!

3. You could look up funny cat videos on Youtube…

OR you could go see a comedy show at The Big Hunt. The basement of this bar is a comedy club that has free shows every day of the week! On Saturday nights the price is raised to a mere $5 as they’ll bring in more well-known comedians who are currently touring. 

4. You could watch a bizarre documentary on Netflix… 

OR you can go on a tour of the Founding Church of Scientology. Not many people know this, but DC is the birthplace of this religion. The tour is free and they have a pretty remarkable visitor’s center!

5. You could play Cards Against Humanity (for the millionth time)…

OR you can go to Penn Social, a bar that doubles as an adult arcade. With bored games, massive TVs, and arcade activities, it screams fun date night.  If you’re into a more laid back night and fan of trivia, you could try Trivia Nights at bars like Stoneys or Thomas Foolery. 

Now get out there and go do something fun! 

Samantha is a member of the class of 2017 at the George Washington University, where she is studying Political Science and Sociology. When not writing for HerCampus, she can be seen hanging posters around campus for GW Voices for Choices events and trying to educate everyone who wants to know about reproductive health in DC. When not fighting the patriarchy, Samantha likes to explore DC finding the best happy hours and cheap date ideas with her amazing friends. Some of her favorite things include, Harry Potter, politics, travel, Game of Thrones, and chocolate.