This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

In the age of drink subscriptions, I look to get a free sip where I can. I maintain an aging stash of Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts gift cards, and I am currently living off a free three-month trial of Panera’s Sip Club. So when Pret-A-Manger appeared in my inbox offering a free month trial for their own sip club, I was in. 

Both subscriptions have their strengths and weaknesses. Panera offers tea and coffee at a plethora of locations. Pret-A-Manger offers two separate subscriptions: one for tea and coffee and another for crafted drinks, like iced chais, macchiatos or cappuccinos. Unfortunately, Pret is mainly found between DC and New York City, meaning I must take advantage of my location while I’m in the area.

As someone who hates coffee, this seemed like a good time to try the stuff (for free). As a picky drinker who hates carbonation and juice, this added a fun mystery to my day: will I enjoy this or will it ruin my morning? Here are my honest opinions of coffee and her related variations. 

Espresso: It’s small and it’s cute, but the flavor hits the back of your throat. I imagine trash when I taste it. Smells nice but tastes like soap. I could not finish it. 1/10 

Macchiato: The fraternal twin to the espresso. What makes this taste better than the espresso? The foamed milk. While the flavor was still very pungent, taking a sip of the coffee and the foam at the same time made it slightly better. 3/10

Cold Brew: Not too bad. I did have a nitro cold brew once at Disney and didn’t hate it. This drink didn’t have much flavor but I can only compare it to a melted chocolate slushie. 4/10

Cappuccino: Okay, now we’re talking. This was not that bad. I would compare it to a very toned down iced chai. I should note that I desperately chugged this down after a red eye flight into London. 7/10

Iced Mocha: Is this coffee? It’s more like an adult milkshake. I mean, it looks like chocolate milk. I was pleasantly surprised by the little chocolate pellets every time I took a sip. Note: this tastes nearly the same as the Belgian Chocolate Milkshake by M&S. 9/10. 

Flat White: This just might be the one! I actually drank the whole thing. It’s not too bitter like straight coffee can be as the milk balances the flavor just right. 10/10. 

Prior to my one month coffee journey, my go-to café drinks were chai, matcha or any tea in general. After all this trial and error, I can confidently say I am adding flat whites in my future orders. 

Olivia is majoring in Anthropology and in History. She is originally from Verona, New Jersey. She is big history nerd and loves learning about local history. In her free time she likes to walk, bike, and visit cool places to eat.