Tried Everything For Your Skin Problems? Read this!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Whoever said “You’ll outgrow acne after puberty!” I would like to punch in the face. Adult acne is still very much a thing, and many people (including myself) are struggling on how exactly to tame this wild beast. Having seen numerous dermatologists, gone on multiple ‘au natural’ phases, and delved into the depths of the Internet, here are a few of the most unconventional, but useful, tips I’ve discovered.

Teas

Tea is not only good for the soul, but it’s a blessing for skin if you chose the right one. Tea helps by not only getting good bacteria into your body, but by flushing out and detoxing harmful bacteria that act out on your face. Teas that are anti-oxidant rich and have certain ingredients like green tea, hibiscus, and burdock are best for detoxing and giving you that healthy glow

Two good products for this would be Yogi Skin Detox Tea and Get Gorgeous Herb Tea for Clear Skin 

Pillow Cases

Guess what surface your skin brushes against for approximately 8 hours every night? That’s right- your pillowcase.  Your pillowcase is a hub of germs, oil, and dirt that then can naturally spur on the production of acne. No matter what great products you put on your face at night, that can all go down the drain with a dirty pillowcase. So stock up on a few new pillowcases, and try to change it every night, your skin will thank you. 

This acne fighting pillowcase even takes it a step further, and 92% of reviewers gave it above a 4 (out of 5)! 

Head and Shoulders Shampoo (what?!?)

Yep, you read it right. Washing your face and/or body with Head and Shoulders Anti-Dandruff shampoo can actually help your acne. The main ingredient is the zinc, which is helpful in treating pityrosporum folliculitis, which is commonly mistaken as acne. It’s more common around the jawline and on the body. People swear by it, and it is a cheap alternative to try if you’re on a budget! 

NOT washing your face so much

Sometimes we think the more products we use on our skin, the faster or better it will be.  However, sometimes the more products we use we just exacerbate the problems we have. For example, if you have oily skin and you’re constantly cleansing and stripping it of its natural oil- your skin will react by producing extra sebum to make up for the complete loss. So break this cycle by not washing your face in the AM, instead simply splash your face with some water and moisturize. At most, use a refreshing toner. This will help your skin to develop a healthier balance of oil (and save you money on your cleanser). 

Samantha is a member of the class of 2017 at the George Washington University, where she is studying Political Science and Sociology. When not writing for HerCampus, she can be seen hanging posters around campus for GW Voices for Choices events and trying to educate everyone who wants to know about reproductive health in DC. When not fighting the patriarchy, Samantha likes to explore DC finding the best happy hours and cheap date ideas with her amazing friends. Some of her favorite things include, Harry Potter, politics, travel, Game of Thrones, and chocolate.