Trend Report: Get Your Pocahontas On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Even though Halloween has come and gone, there’s still a little room for some Pocahontas inspired pieces in your closet. Feathers, fringe, fur – oh my! The fall is the perfect time to incorporate bright patterns and earthy tones into your wardrobe. To avoid looking literally like you should be painting with the colors of the wind, ground bold patterns with solid colors, leather, or a denim basic like a button up or great pair of boyfriend or skinny jeans.

The centerpiece of the Navajo trend is of course a huge, printed, comfy, curl-up-by-the-fire-with-hot-chocolate-and-a-good-book sweater. Just the thought of it screams fall. Whether you prefer bright or neutral, there is a sweater out there calling your name. For an added laid-back look, go for a cardigan sans buttons with extra, draped fabric in the front or an asymmetrical hem. Check out these three options from Urban Outfitters ($79), ModCloth ($109.99) and American Eagle ($59.50). Whether you prefer to belt it or let it all hang loose, a splurge on a great oversized printed cardigan you can wear from now until the warmer months is definitely worth it.
    Another easy and fun way to incorporate this trend into your fall wardrobe is to play with your accessories. The best way to add a pop of color is always through accessories – maybe a bag, necklace, or great pair of moccasins. The signature color of the Navajo trend is obviously turquoise so try things like this backpack ($69) from Urban Outfitters or this Free People necklace ($38). For an authentic feel, moccasins are a must. This ($43) cute Minnetonka pair is perfect in black, brown or taupe – just look at the beading detail!
    Fringe is another simple and fun way to explore this fall’s trend. It adds an element of instant playfulness and glam to any outfit…just don’t overdo it. Stick with a fringe bag, necklace, or accent on a shirt or shoes. I love this Ecote bag ($59) from Urban Outfitters or this necklace ($4.76) with a bit of a rocker vibe from Forever 21. If you’re brave, a vest or jacket with fringe accents along the hem could be a great focus of an outfit. When it comes to fringe, just remember that a little bit goes a long way.
    As for hair, try updating the classic braid or bun. Maybe try a fishtail, headband, or waterfall. You can watch beautezineTV’s Youtube tutorial here for step-by-step directions on how to do the bohemian waterfall braid. Don’t be afraid to pull some pieces out and make it messy – the more tousled the better! If you’re feeling bold, add a tribal turban or feather clip for the full effect. Free People has a great (slightly pricey) selection of hair accessories that’s to die for. Feather extensions were all the rage this summer (personally I rocked an awesome red one), and continue to be a hit into the fall.
    The best thing about this trend (as if I could pick just one!) is that you can wear it through all seasons. To modify your summer tribal gear for the fall, choose basic earth tones with pops of strong colors and maybe even a hint of sparkle. Overall, have fun with it and maybe your new Pocahontas look will bring you your very own John Smith just in time for the holidays!

Here’s a few more of my favorite suggestions that aren’t linked above…enjoy!

Links:

Minnetonka Boots ($55)

Free People Tribal Bib Necklace ($38)

Asos Navajo Ring ($12.58)

Asos Navajo Pattern Mini Skirt ($28.75)

Stephie Cuff ($31.20)

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.
Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.