Transform Your Dating Routine From Boring to SOARING!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

How many times have you heard the line, “I’d like to take you out to dinner this Friday night?” Or “Let’s do dinner and a movie!” 

While there’s nothing wrong with dating a guy who enjoys treating you to nice dinners or likes to hold your hand when you reach for the popcorn in a dimly lit theater; at times, this dating pattern can feel a bit stale. (No…I do not mean “stale” as in the mold that you find on an old loaf bread) but rather, staleness in the dating world refers to the lack of excitement and spontaneity. It’s not that we get sick of eating great food with a great guy, but sometimes it takes more than a hot plate of curry to truly spice things up.

Think about it: the majority of dates revolve around eating food.  Of course we all love to eat – (trust me, I’m eating vanilla frosting straight from the container as I write this) – but why can’t dates be a little more eventful?! Restaurants can be pretty, food can be delicious, and waiters can be entertaining to talk to; but after a while, a menu is a menu, and a dinner date is a dinner date. 

But if you’ve reached the point where your dates are starting to feel mundane, don’t panic! It is not necessarily an indicator that you’re bored with your man, it just means that ready to try some new activities that involve more than a place setting and a tablecloth. Instead, you can try:

1. Laser tagging.   It may sound ridiculous, but who doesn’t have a little bit of their eight-year-old selves still living inside of them?  Playing this youthful game will bring you back to your carefree days of birthday parties and ice cream cakes. You and your date will get to see the more youthful, playful sides of one another, which could potentially take your relationship to a new level.  (Not to mention, it’s essentially a game of hide and seek…in the dark…so there’s an undeniable seductive element to it).
  2. Playing a sport together.Instead of passing the breadbasket back and forth, try hitting a tennis ball over the net. You’ll most likely get to see him shirtless, and he’ll get turned on by your athletic ability (unless you don’t have athletic ability…in which case, I’d suggest you steer clear of this idea and opt to play board games).  No matter what kind of game it is, there’s nothing wrong with some healthy competition.
  3. Baking together. Thanks to Pillsbury’s “Slice N’ Bake” and Betty Crocker mixes, baking is easier (and tastier) than ever before.  It’s a fun way to spend time with your date, work together as a team, and ultimately bond about the finished product you’ve helped each other create.  Just make sure you’re not selfish when it comes to licking the bowl…and remember to put the lid back on the milk before you start making out on the counter top.
  4. Go to an exciting event together.Depending on what you’re into, this can be anything from a concert, to a basketball game, to a Broadway show. It’s important to share your interests with the person you’re dating – you’ll figure out what they’re into, and you’ll see how willing they are to try something that you enjoy.  
  5. Do something cultural. For those of us living in DC, we are surrounded by museums, monuments, memorials, and historical landmarks.  While you may have thought that these things were “un-cool” during your eighth grade Washington trip, they can actually be incredibly romantic and fun to visit with your significant other.  Go for a moonlit stroll together along the national mall, have a picnic next to the Lincoln memorial, or take a boat ride on the Potomac river…just avoid activities involving water if you’re irritated with your date – you wouldn’t want to “accidentally” throw him overboard.

So there you have it: five unique dates that do not involve restaurants or a movie. After all, candle-lit dinners are great, but we all know that the adventurous dates can be even hotter.

Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.