Top 5 Issues That Affect Current and Future College Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Going to George Washington University has many perks, including living four blocks away from the White House (I may or may not secretly wish to pass Malia Obama on a morning jog), getting to spend my snow days having snow ball fights on the national mall, and being 2.4 miles away from Capitol Hill (but who’s counting). Being thrown into the midst of where American politics happen first hand has turned me into a bit of a political news junkie, to say the least. Living in DC this past year has taught me that politics really do matter and the 2016 presidential election is a very big deal to the entire country, but especially to college women. Here are the top five reasons why this presidential election matters to college women:

1.     Women’s Health

No matter if you are pro life, pro choice, or anywhere in between, women’s health matters. Think how you feel about funding for Planned Parenthood and access to birth control.

2.     Student Loans/Debt

As college students, this topic may unfortunately be a little too prevalent in our lives. Think about how solving the student debt crisis could make your life more effective.  

3.     Gun Control

Sadly, there have been one too many campus shootings occurring on college campuses all over the country. Think about how safe you feel on campus and if you are satisfied with how your university prioritizes the safety of their students.

4.     Climate Change

Having a major blizzard one week, then temperatures quickly rising to sixty degrees the next week, and then having tornado conditions is not normal. Do you think funding for environmental agencies and funding to solve the gargantuan issue of climate change is significant?

5.     Affirmative Action

Do you think affirmative action affects college or graduate admissions? If so, do you think this is a good or bad thing? Think about how affirmative actions affects (or doesn’t affect) your life.

These issues are five of many that are a part of one of the fiercest elections in American history. Explore all the candidate’s ideas about your most important opinions and see where they stand. Don’t forget that your opinion matters and to make your voice heard in the 2016 election!