sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Tinder Can Help Your Self Esteem And Sometimes That’s Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

I first downloaded Tinder out of boredom, curiosity, and humor.  It was never meant to be anything serious– just a way to pass the time. My roommate and I laughed as we came up with possible bios, and scrolled through my camera roll in search of the perfect pictures to upload. My friends took pleasure in “playing Tinder”– swiping left and right, and sending messages on my behalf. Even though I was allowing my friends, schoolmates, and strangers alike to see me in what should have probably been a vulnerable light, I wasn’t at all embarrassed. After the initial shock of seeing my matches around campus subsided, I realized that Tinder could be used more as a tool for empowerment rather than degradation or shame. While I can honestly say that I never intend to use this electronic Cupid to find a relationship or hookup, I do find myself opening the app to brighten my mood. 

You can hate the idea of Tinder all you want, but you have to agree that there is something so validating about matching with complete strangers. On the days when you look in the mirror and you think, “Oh God, did I really look like that all day?” there is nothing better than receiving the little red notification saying that so-and-so just matched with you. Your friends serve to lift you up, to support you, and show you unconditional love. But Jack from UMD? He has no obligation to swipe right and tell you that you’re the hottest girl he’s ever seen. Of course you don’t NEED his opinion, but it sure helps boost your self-confidence even if just for a minute. That to me is the best part about Tinder. And while you shouldn’t depend on your matches for confidence, you can definitely revel in the spotlight. 

However, if you did want to use Tinder to find a Fall fling, you’re in luck. My friend created his account in search of romance, and ended up finding an amazing girl. So, whether you’re looking for mindless entertainment or true love, this app has so much to offer you– especially in regards to self-esteem. 

Brianna is a freshman at the George Washington University, majoring in International Affairs. She is originally from Gilroy, California. In her free time, she can be found watching the "Great British Baking Show," and exploring DC with her friends.