Tights for this Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Winter has officially arrived and it’s freezing out there. Pants and nice and warm but sometimes you need to switch it up. Don’t be afraid to break out your skirts through the winter season, just with the right accessories. This is where tights and socks come into play. This season has some insanely cute tights to offer! From thick to printed, colored or textured, thigh-highs to knee-highs, there’s a pair of tights or socks for every girl.

Classic black sheer tights are always in but this season it’s all about a twist on the old favorite. Try these House of Holland suspender tights from Urban Outfitters on sale for $20. When you wear a cute skirt or dress with great heels or boots the stripes up the side will look extra cool. Ripped tights give every outfit an edge but they aren’t the warmest. Topshop has a great solution to this problem! Check out these grunge ripped tights ($20). Speaking of edgy, every winter wardrobe needs a bit of leather. These faux leather footless tights from Nordstrom ($99) are a great investment whether you wear them with a skirt, dress, or just a cozy oversized sweater. For those of us in a festive spirit this time of year, go for a great print in a bold color. These patterned tights from Zappos come in a bright red (wine), light blue, brown, and black ($20). Last but not least, for everyone channeling their inner Cher from Clueless, these argyle Cole Haan are perfect to keep your legs warm in the winter ($25).

The next step down in terms of warmth, but not style, are thigh high socks. These look great with sheer tights underneath or just solo. Wear with boots and your toes are guaranteed to be toasty all day long! I love this cable knit pair from Top Shop in green ($20). The fold-over top allows you to make them any length you want or even bunch them up as knee-highs. Another great over the knee sock is this cross-stitch pair from Urban Outfitters ($14). The black, green, and blue are all great colors to add to your winter closet. Go for a bold print like these aztec knee high socks from Top Shop ($14) or this lower version for $10. However, the fuzziest pair award definitely goes to this angora knee-high pair from Gap ($9.99). I love the oatmeal color but the charcoal and red are great too.

Next time you reach for the same pants or leggings every day, remember that you can still be warm and rock your skirts and dresses.My personal preference happens to be thermal socks such as these from Sears ($8.99), but if you’re searching for that extra touch, I hope my tips have helped.I know I’m going out and getting my legs a whole new wardrobe for break!

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.
Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.