Style > Fashion

The Met Gala 2021- Who Earned an Invite Back for 2022?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

After a long twenty-eight months, fashion lovers around the world finally got their event of the year back- the Met Gala. Since the last event in 2019, a lot has changed, including the guest list. Several new faces were seen on the carpet this year along with old favorites.

I am not an expert in fashion. Full disclosure, I’m studying politics and business. However, I have a few opinions on this year’s guest list.

Many of my favorite guests from the past were nowhere to be seen. Some absences made me lose respect for them (I’m sorry to the “barb” community but you know what I’m talking about). When it comes to the new guests though, here are my two cents on who earned a ticket back. 

Starting off strong, Dixie D’Amelio. I think she has absolutely earned an invite back to the Gala next May. While I am not a huge fan of “TikTok stars” being invited to one of the most respected events in the fashion industry, she held her own. Her Audrey Hepburn-inspired look was beautiful and had amazing execution. My least favorite thing about the Met Gala is when people do not follow the theme, but she understood the assignment. Audrey Hepburn being an absolute American Icon inspired many looks, but D’Amelio’s look particularly stood out to me as bold. She did not play it safe, and I am here for it. 

In terms of no invites back, Miss “Bad Bleep,” Addison Rae would not be on my list in May. While I appreciate her wearing an American designer, her dress lacked any further insight to the theme. I also just did not love the look itself. She is stunning but the dress was not very complimentary, and I did not like her accessories, particularly, the jewelry. While I think Addison Rae has a great and financially prosperous gig with TikTok, I do not think fashion is her industry.

Kaia Gerber is one of the few people I would trust to dress me the rest of my life. I am obsessed with her style, so it was of no surprise that she killed her look for the Met. Her look was inspired by Bianca Jagger’s 1981 Met gala, and she provided an elegant tribute that was fabulously executed. Gerber most definitely has genetics in her favor, as her beauty and elegant nature was shown in her look. While Gerber did hit the genetic and nepotism jackpot, I think she has great potential in the fashion industry and is continuing to build a name for herself. 

Madison Beer. I’m really struggling with a conclusion for this one. I don’t really understand why she was invited, as she has not done anything remarkable in the fashion industry. She may have a large following on social media, but besides that, I’m confused. Part of my dilemma with her invite is that I’ve never been impressed with her as a person, especially considering her lies about surgeries and how I only really hear about her when she has a scandal. On the other hand, I do respect her vision behind the dress, and I think wearing a female American designer is awesome. The dress was inspired by Marilyn Monroe’s orange gown from “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,” and I really like how this dress has definite similarities. But, Beer made it her own. I also really like how the dress’s materials were all locally sourced and the dress itself was made in America- a truly American made dress. I honestly don’t know if I think Beer earned a ticket back, but we will see. 

I have to put it out there though, Emma Chamberlain was my favorite look, I loved it, she killed it. 

In the future, if Anna Wintour would like to give me a call, I have a few ideas. For one, I would love to see Role Model, Amelie Zilber, Jacob Elordi, and Cody Rigsby at the Met. I would also like to see some of my old favorites return. Where was Blake Lively, Zendaya, The Weekend, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Harry Styles? Anyways, Anna, feel free to give me a call about my suggestions. 

Hi y'all my name is maddy and I'm a new writer here at GWU! I'm just getting off a gap year and am super excited to get back to school. I am double majoring in political communication and business analytics which I am really enjoying. In my free time, I love exercising, playing with my dogs when at home, and cooking!