Thanksgiving: Give Thanks to Food-Friendly Outfits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We all know we shouldn’t stuff ourselves with more stuffing than we can handle, but who can deny that Thanksgiving is all about the food? It’s the one day of the year where a girl can keep going back for more and no one can say anything about her. So if you’re gonna do Thanksgiving right, you gotta have the right wardrobe…and that doesn’t mean dressing like a pilgrim! Two things are a Turkey Day must: leggings and loose tops. There are lots of courses for Thanksgiving, so a girl needs to know how to dress chic while still stuffing her face (in a lady-like way of course). Unbuttoning mid-feast is the worst part of any meal so skip real pants…leggings are the perfect choice.

Spice up the usual plain black versions with leather, denim, or different colors. A great way to mix it up is by adding little details down the side of your leggings. This BB Dakota Johnson pair ($66.50) has a great taupe color block detail on the sides, which will make you look good from any angle. Or try this pair from the Versace for H&M collection with a cool pattern ($29.95). Get your jegging fix at Macys for just $27.99. Or, to put a fall touch on your legging collection, get these cool corduroy leggings in khaki, cobblestone, black, or espresso, also $27.99. The variety of colors is the perfect palate for this fall/winter season!

Flowing tops are obviously a must. Leaving a little extra room for that turkey to digest is probably a good idea but obviously we have to add a little extra something. I love to add fun details on the shoulders of my shirts. Whether it’s sequins or a cut out, make sure you throw in that extra holiday flair. ModCloth has this great sheer top with shoulder cutouts. Layer a tank underneath in any color for versatility. Macys offers this Free People boxy cardigan with openwork detail that’s great for layering. If you’re feeling wild, try this faux-fur friendly sweater from BCBGeneration ($158).

Another option for the food-friendly festive outfit is a dress. Shift dresses are a great way to bring a boxy mod silhouette to the Thanksgiving table. Make a splash with a metallic shift dress like this one from Asos ($62.90). Also, this bright Rory Beca option from ShopBop can be dressed up or down as a great investment piece for $228.80. To avoid the chill, get yourself a great pair of tights whether you like opaque, sheer, printed, or colored—tights are a great way to completely change an outfit!

In general for the fall, it’s all about the layering. And lucky for us, Free People has a whole category for this on their website! The loose fitting thermals like this one ($58) look so comfy and perfect for turkey day! Once you’ve got your basics, you obviously need a killer jacket. I’m loving the military jacket look for the fall…try this Urban Outfitters Urban Renewal combat jacket ($59) to keep you warm and stylish. Also, everyone loves to wear denim year round, so stand out with a jacket like this one also Urban Renewal from Urban Outfitters ($69). Its fisherman sweater sleeves attached to the jean vest are the perfect two-in-one!

Whether your Thanksgiving plate is full of a huge turkey leg or some creamy sweet potato, it’s sure to be full. Don’t compromise your stuffing for your wardrobe…use these tips and you’ll have a stylish Thanksgiving and won’t go home hungry!  

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.
Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.