Life > Academics

Study-Sesh Success: 6 Tips To Crush It In The Classroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

With the fall semester well underway, here are a few different tips to ensure that you are able to maximize your productivity and kill it in the classroom on our campus.

1. Find the ideal study spot

Everybody has different preferences for studying: by themselves or with friends, in silence or with background noise, in the early morning or late at night, and the list goes on. Regardless of how you like to study, it is crucial that you find your ideal environment to work on assignments. Whether it is in Gelbucks, the infamous sixth floor of Gelman, outside in Kogan Plaza, an academic building like Elliot or one of the many cozy cafes around campus (like the new Tatte, For Five Roasters or Uptowner Cafe!) there are so many possibilities to find the perfect study spot at GW!

2. keep a planner

Whether you keep a physical planner or Google Calendar, having a planner is a great way to stay organized and on top of your assignments. Knowing what is due and when can ease some of the last-minute studying stress. Planners are also an amazing way to carve out precious time designated for studying and getting work done, even when you have a packed schedule (like so many students at GW do). This is a wonderful way to make the most of your time and increase productivity.

3. Nourish your brain

Certain foods can promote brain function, like memory and concentration. Drink water to keep you hydrated, a moderate amount of coffee will keep you alert and focused, and green drinks like tea or smoothies keep stress levels down and improve brain performance. These are all easy drinks to make or purchase to bring with you to a study session. Nourishing snacks are also vital. Foods like berries, citrus fruits, dark chocolate, and nuts are all considered “brain foods” and can easily be brought along as a study snack. 

4. Space out your study sessions

While it may seem intuitive to spend countless hours studying, studies have shown that spacing out your study sessions is more beneficial in the long run. Studying the day before a test is important, don’t get me wrong, but cram sessions are a bad idea. Instead of cramming, study for shorter periods of time over the course of a few days to retain information best and prepare for your exam. 

international student?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash

5. Take breaks

Another important aspect of productive studying is to actually take a break. According to Time Magazine, the most productive workers spend approximately 52 minutes on a task and then take a 10-15 minute break. This is the perfect opportunity to eat your snack, take a quick walk, stretch, scroll through TikTok, or close your eyes for a few minutes – whatever is going to recharge you! 

6. Put the phone (and other distractions) away

This one may be the hardest on the list! Try putting your phone away in a drawer, your bag, or somewhere else out of sight, or turn on focus mode to eliminate any potential distractions that your phone can create. Also, take this into consideration when picking an ideal study spot. If you are someone who is easily distracted by others, music, or your surroundings, a quiet, relatively uncrowded study location may be best for you. 

Now, it is time to take these tips and put them into practice to have your best semester yet. Good luck, GW!

Ingrid Hofmann is from Bettendorf, Iowa and a sophomore at GW majoring in Political Communication and Spanish. In the future, Ingrid hopes to attend law school and continue journalism writing for various publications about topics she is passionate about as a contributor. In her free time, Ingrid can be found reading, going to pilates, exploring the city and hanging out with her friends!