Self Magazine’s Workout on the Quad: What It Is and Why You Should Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

In 2013, SELF Magazine celebrated the 20th anniversary of Workout in the Park: a healthy lifestyle event held in Central Park with free exercise classes, complementary beauty consultations, and tons of free swag!

To honor the milestone, the magazine launched Workout on the Quad, a competition where college students compete in SELF’s Workout in the Park social game (on Facebook) to bring a similar event exclusively to their own campus. Last year’s winner was our neighbors American University and I was lucky enough to get an invite!

When I heard about the event, I—a health and fitness nerd—was stoked. On a warm Saturday in April, I took the metro up to Tenleytown and saw this amazing event for myself. As I walked onto the Quad where the event was taking place, multiple exercise classes (Zumba, Crossfit, and Yoga) were happening simultaneously across the area, and tons of vendors were giving out free swag! (Check out some of the free food and drink samples and fitness freebies I got, and there’s more!) Click here to read more about last year’s Workout on the Quad at American University.

Now, that was great for me, but why should you care? Well, we at GW have an opportunity now to bring the same event to our campus this year! To compete, all you have to do is play SELF’s Workout in the Park Facebook game and join GW’s team. Encourage friends, alumni (even faculty and staff) to join in and earn points, and for bonus points, tweet GW (or George Washington University) with the hashtag #WorkoutOnTheQuad.

The competition ends on February 14th, so start playing and tweeting to help GW bring this amazing opportunity back to DC!

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.