Rachel Zoe: The Ultimate GW Style Icon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As all of you on the up-and-up at GW are I’m sure aware, Rachel Zoe, celebrity stylist, is one of the most famous alumni of our alma mater. She is business savvy, running her own empire, and also fashion savvy of course. When Rachel walked the streets of DC from ’89 to ‘93 she definitely wasn’t wearing your average sweatpants outfit to class. So how can we GW girls get her effortless yet bold boho-chic look from head to toe for less? Look no further!

Fall is the perfect time to accessorize with cute outfit-makers such as hats, scarves, and of course a statement jacket. Rachel loves her some fur and so do I! Pictured here front row at the Versace Fall 2010 show, Rachel rocks a modern bolero hat to compliment her huge fur coat.  Since we can’t all be this glam just for class, try a white fur vest instead of a full on coat for a more casual look with that extra pop. H&M has the perfect alternative for just $14.95.

As for the bolero, Forever 21 offers the cutest wool fedora with a brown leatherette band for $16.80.
The brown and black combo ensures its versatility; this hat will match with whatever color palette you pair it with beyond this outfit! If a bolero’s not really your style, opt for a simple but chic beanie. For the rest of the outfit, keep it simple and let the fur do the talking.

Rachel pairs her outrageous coat with all black and a hint of polka dots. For class, try any dark or neutral color such as black, grey, or brown. Pair with stylish combat or knee-high boots to keep your feet warm in this unusually cold weather and to add edginess to your outfit. As for jewelry, Rachel keeps it classy with gold accents. Since the color palate for this outfit is so basic, anything goes here. Try mixing and matching different length bronze and gold necklaces for a cool, boho vibe. If you want a pop of color, add a statement ring or scarf to pull the look together.

As always, Rachel rocks her signature standout lip color paired with beachy waves, even when no sand is in sight. For tips on how to achieve her tousles, watch Youtube’s meganheartsmakeup. You can see Megan’s Rachel Zoe look for less tutorial here. Megan also walks you through make up tips and a different but equally trendy Zoe look – love the boots!

Rachel’s look is all about making a daring statement without looking like it took you forever to do so. Isn’t that what college is all about? So take some advice from a GW alum in the fashion department (because really, shouldn’t we have a fashion major by now?) and try out this Rachel Zoe look for less!

Pictures from: www.style.com, www.hm.com, and www.forever21.com

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.
Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.