Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Nine Easy Ways to be More Sustainable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As a remarkably warm winter comes to a close, it becomes increasingly apparent that climate change is growing more and more present in our daily lives. Even though just 100 major corporations are responsible for upwards of 71% of CO2 emissions, that doesn’t mean that your individual efforts don’t count! Help out mother earth through these nine easy ways to lower your carbon footprint!

Turn off the water while you brush your teeth

This hack is coming to you straight off a thirty-second Disney channel commercial I saw when I was ten. Turning off the faucet while you aren’t using it (i.e. during the physical process of brushing your teeth) can make a huge impact. It’s so simple and saves up to 200 gallons per month. At this point, it has become so habitual I don’t even notice it and it is an amazingly easy thing to do. 

Use a reusable coffee cup

Now, this isn’t a new idea but it is a useful one. There are also a ton of perks that come with bringing your own reusable cup. One is that it usually comes with a discount which is always nice, especially when you are choosing between gworld debt and energy for your 9:35 am. Plus, Peets will literally fill any container you give them (including Hydroflasks and Mason Jars) so you don’t actually have to buy anything. On top of that, depending on the size of your container, you might end up getting a little extra which is always a pleasant surprise.

Buy less off of Amazon

There are a lot of reasons to not buy off of Amazon (i.e. Jeff Bezos being terrible) but they also use a ton of unnecessary packaging and the impact of the shipping that it takes to get your package to you is an externality often not mentioned or even acknowledged. While it is super convenient, when possible try and shop local. Head over to Georgetown, Tyson’s Corner, or Crystal City for tons of stores, all of which can be reached either by walking or metroing.

Be conscious about the clothes you buy

The fashion industry is the second biggest polluter in the world. Furthermore, the industry is riddled with human rights violations, from terrible working conditions to child labor. While buying exclusively from Reformation may not be within the average college student’s budget, there are a lot of cheaper ways to say no to the wear-once-throw-away nature of Forever 21 and H&M. Some of these brands include Peony, Birkenstock, Ninety Percent, Patagonia, Allbirds, Athleta, Levi’s, Uniqlo, and Madewell!

Say no to single-use utensils

While it is super easy to get caught up in throwaway culture on GW’s meal plan, it’s important to capitalize on the moments when you can choose to be more eco-friendly. This means using reusable utensils when eating in your dorm room or choosing reusable options when eating out. If you choose to take out food, check out any of the following super cute reusable to-go options:

https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Travel-Utensils-Go-705105479308/dp/B002BFUPUM

Eat! Less! Meat!

It should not come as a shock to you that meat production uses a lot of water and the animals tend to be kept in terrible conditions. While encouraging someone to go full-blown vegan or vegetarian comes with its own slew of problematic implications, reducing one’s meat intake is something that is relatively attainable for most people. While all dietary changes should be taken with caution, not eating meat for a day or two a week can help you become significantly more sustainable and work towards a better environment for everyone.

Buy carbon offsets

Coming from California, I find myself on a plane quite often. Air travel, while convenient, accounts for approximately 2.5 percent of carbon pollution, which is a massive amount when taken within the context of how many people actually travel by air. Luckily, many major airlines allow customers to purchase carbon offsets, which go towards cleaning up the carbon emissions from each flight one takes. They typically cost from $5-$15 and can be bought from other independent sites like terrapass.org or partner sites like Carbonfund.org, a site that is partnered with JetBlue and Alaska Airlines.

Don’t forget your water bottle

I mean at this point this is common sense. Any vsco girl will tell you, you’re not yourself without a trusty hydro flask (or any water bottle of your choosing)

Bring your own bag to the grocery store

Honestly, this is just a useful thing to do whether you care about the environmental impact or not. Those Whole Foods paper bags break pretty easily and you don’t want to be the person in Kogan with three broken kombucha bottles and crushed chips all over the plaza as people uncomfortably sidestep you. Buy a bag once, reuse it forever, avoid the additional bag tax, and they can be used for literally anything else if you need them. It’s easy, convenient, and by far the most effective thing you can do speaking as someone who had to make the trek from Thurston to Whole Foods just a few hours ago.

Natalia is a Freshman at the George Washington University Elliott School of International Affairs and a Journalism minor. She loves hiking, traveling, and going to the beach and is passionate about women's rights and social justice. She is also addicted to coffee and plans on finding the best shop in every major city.
Sarah is a junior at The George Washington University School of Business, studying Finance and Sports Management, with a minor in Spanish. She previously worked at the Her Campus Media headquarters in Boston as a Product and Operations intern. She is a dedicated Boston sports fan, loves to travel, and pets every dog she sees.