New Years Resolution: Try More Desserts in D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

So, you made a New Year’s resolution of getting in shape and eating healthier? That sounds nice, but consider this: D.C. has some of the most amazing desserts that you have most likely not discovered yet. I’m not saying you should completely derail your plans, but you should also have a New Years resolution to be a little bit more adventurous when it comes time to eat dessert. It’s sweater weather in D.C…so who will notice that you’re not actually being as strict as you want with your new diet? Now that I’ve convinced you to make another New Years resolution, here’s a selection of some of the best places places to grab dessert in the District. 1. Ice Cream Jubilee 

Before you scroll past this because it’s ‘too cold for ice cream’, give me a chance to explain how uniquely amazing Ice Cream Jubilee is. The ice cream here is so good that I have used Postmates to get a pint delivered to my dorm in the winter. Ice Cream Jubilee was started a few years ago by a woman, Victoria Lai, who came to DC as a presidential appointee to the Department of Homeland Security, however she decided to leave behind the D.C. political scene in order to pursue her real passion of making ice cream. The ice cream is addicting due to its smooth and creamy texture and incredible flavors. Ice Cream Jubilee serves flavors like banana bourbon caramel, coconut lychee lime, honey lemon lavender, gin and tonic, cardamom black pepper, Mexican hot chocolate, Thai iced tea (my favorite), and so many more unique flavors that rotate in and out by the season. Also (pro-tip) it’s location right on the water makes it a picturesque spot for a date!

2. Baked and Wired

While all ‘real’ Washingtonians know that Baked and Wired is the far superior cupcake compared to Georgetown Cupcake just up the road, not many know that Baked and Wired has many other amazing desserts as well as a sister store, A Baked Joint, on K street between 4th and 5th. The bars, brownies, cookies, and biscotti at Baked and Wired come in an assortment of unique flavors and unique names, just like their famous cupcakes (example: “Kick Me in the Nuts” Brownie). I can also vouch that the coffee and hot chocolate are worth the wait in line. Some of my favorite reviews on yelp include “You could mix poo with B&W’s peanut butter frosting and it’d still taste good, haha” and “Hippie Crack, b&w’s granola, is some of the best granola I’ve ever tried (and I love granola).” So when you make your next pilgrimage to Georgetown, consider mixing it up a bit when waiting in line at Baked and Wired. 

3. Wicked Waffle

While Wicked Waffle is technically a breakfast place, the ‘sweet’ waffles they offer pass the test for what makes a great dessert with flying colors. The waffles are perfectly crisp on the outside and deliciously warm and sweet on the inside. Be sure not to ask for maple syrup because they will not give it to you, the waffles are sweetened to perfection already. While they offer the basics such waffles with powdered sugar, Nutella, strawberries, or chocolate. They also make Roasted Fugi Apples & Cinnamon Waffles,  Strawberry Cheesecake Waffles, Tiramisu Waffles, and “The Works” a sweet waffle with vanilla ice cream, strawberries, chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, and powder sugar. Even better, Wicked Waffle is on GWorld for GW Students; the down side is that Wicked Waffle is only open from 7am-4pm and is not open on Sundays. 

4. Ted’s Bulletin

This D.C. chain is known for its unique old-fashioned aethetic, but it also is the holy grail of amazing sweets. The delectable pop tarts (Ted Tarts), adult milkshakes (White Russian with Vodka and Kahlua), and chocolate cream pie (a slice is the size of a small pie itself), all makes a stop a Ted’s a heaven for your sweet tooth. These sweets along with the rest of the menu of American comfort food, may cause one to get a little too comfortable and start to drift off in the warm glow of a cozy booth with the sound of a black and white movie playing in the background. 

5. Momofuku Milk Bar

Momofuku Milk Bar opened in D.C. this past October and the hype has not yet died down, and for good reason. On opening night, the line to get into the small store was so long that they were passing out small servings of their famous cereal milk ice cream outside to the waiting customers, who happily grabbed as much as they could even though they were waiting in 40 degree weather. Momofuku Milk Bar has been an NYC staple for a while now, and with the amount of New Yorkers living in DC, it is not surprise that its popularity would catch fire here as well. This bakery offers truly unique confections, Crack Pie, Birthday Truffles, Compost Cookies, and even cookies made by supermodel Karlie Kloss called “Klossies”. Perhaps their most famous creation is “Cereal Milk” which they have both as a drink and as soft serve. Milk, corn flakes, cinnamon, and salt, all combined together to remind you of drinking the milk at the bottom of a bowl of corn flakes. Weird? Yes. Incredibly tasty? Yes. 

Enjoy dessert-hopping in D.C.! 

Samantha is a member of the class of 2017 at the George Washington University, where she is studying Political Science and Sociology. When not writing for HerCampus, she can be seen hanging posters around campus for GW Voices for Choices events and trying to educate everyone who wants to know about reproductive health in DC. When not fighting the patriarchy, Samantha likes to explore DC finding the best happy hours and cheap date ideas with her amazing friends. Some of her favorite things include, Harry Potter, politics, travel, Game of Thrones, and chocolate.