This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We’ve all seen those memes joking about before and after the holiday season. The food is one of the most prominent aspects of the holidays, especially Thanksgiving. Turkey, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, gravy, stuffing, mac ‘n’ cheese, apple pie—my stomach is already growling. 

But the season of joy isn’t always so joyous for many.

Eating disorders are not obvious most of the time, yet they are ubiquitous in our society. The National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) reports that in the United States, eating disorders impact 9% of the population—or 28.8 million people—at some point in their life and directly cause 10,200 deaths each year, making them the second deadliest mental disorder, after only opioid addictions.

Eating disorders are also especially prevalent among college students. A 2013 survey conducted by the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) found that 10% to 20% of women and 4% to 10% of men in college suffer from some form of an eating disorder, and these rates only continue to rise.

This time of year often brings stress and anxiety to those who suffer from disordered eating, but it doesn’t have to. Here are some common tips from various registered dietitians to help navigate the holidays without feeling guilty or stressed:

• Eat balanced meals and snacks regularly throughout the day. Restricting or skipping meals can lead to uncontrollable urges and binges. Eating normally during the day, despite a big meal coming up, will reduce these urges and allow you to eat comfortably without feeling the need to binge.
  • Stay hydrated. It goes without saying that water is extremely important and helps your body function properly in so many ways. Saying hydrated allows you to honor your body’s hunger and thirst cues so that you remain well-nourished throughout the day. But with that being said, water or coffee are beverages and can never replace a meal.
  • Remember that it is just one meal. One meal won’t make you gain weight or change your body. Being present and enjoying a meal with your loved ones is far healthier than feeling guilty for eating too much.

This is also a reminder to refrain from commenting on a person’s body or eating habits this upcoming holiday season, no matter the intention behind doing so. As college students return home in hopes of reuniting with family and friends and enjoying some fresh cooked meals after living off microwavable cups of Kraft’s mac ‘n’ cheese, the last thing they want to hear is how their body changed. The past few months consisted of a cocktail of academic-induced stress, late nights at the library, social pressures, impaired eating and drinking habits, and soaring caffeine intakes that often take a toll on one’s mental and physical being. 

College students already have plenty on their plate, and there is absolutely no need to pile on more.

Norhan is a first-year Journalism and Mass Communications major at the George Washington University. Outside of HerCampus, she is involved in CHAARG and GW Radio. In her free time, she can be found working out, going out with friends, catching up on fashion or political news, or exploring new coffee shops and stores.