Must-Have Skincare Products No Matter the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

I know we all have our top favorite face washes and body lotions, whether from your local drug store or Sephora. Today I thought I would go through my top five faves when it comes to skincare. 

1. The first item on the list is St. Ive’s Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub. This exfoliator not only smells good but does what it’s supposed to do without clogging your pores or being too rough on sensitive skin. I love using this product a few times a week, especially in the fall and winter when the temperature drops and my skin starts to get really dry. When using this scrub, try to be gentle when massaging it into your skin because it can cause some redness if you’re not careful!

Amazon.com

2. When I ran out of eye makeup remover after the first month of college, I scrambled to find something that would last longer, that wasn’t too expensive, and that most importantly worked. When I came across Garnier’s Micellar Cleansing Water, I’ll admit I was a little hesitant because it claimed that it “removes make-up [and] cleanses [and] soothes” with “no rinsing.” I had never heard of a product that could accomplish all of that and that didn’t require any rinsing afterward. However, after the first night I used it to remove my mascara and my concealer, I was sold. This cleansing water is soothing, like it says, and it really does the trick. You don’t have to rub hard and work at it for a while in order to remove your mascara, and it really makes your face feel fresh and clean even when you don’t wash it with your favorite cleanser afterward. This micellar cleansing water is now my go-to, especially when traveling. 

Priceline.com.au

3. Cetaphil is without a doubt every dermatologist’s supposed favorite skincare brand, so of course when I went to the dermatologist a couple months ago, he recommended Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. Now, my skin is the type of skin that needs an acne-fighting cleanser, and because Cetaphil’s cleanser doesn’t have any salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide in it, it didn’t really help that aspect of my skin. However, because I tend to be lazy occasionally when it comes to taking off my makeup and washing my face, I found that Cetaphil does a really good job of removing mascara and eyeliner while at the same time being gentle on the super sensitive skin around my eyes. It also doesn’t sting when I get it in my eyes, which is often, so that’s a plus!

Ulta.com

4. The dermatologist also recommended that I used CeraVe AM and PM Facial Moisturizing Lotions, and I have to say, I really like the combination of these lotions. In the morning I use the AM lotion, which has SPF 30 in it; I know what you’re thinking, but no, the AM lotion does not leave my skin greasy at all despite the sunscreen in it. It actually leaves my skin feeling clean and refreshed, and I find that it’s pretty easy to apply foundation and all my other makeup over the lotion. At night I use the PM lotion, which I also love because it’s incredibly light and moisturizing. At the end of a long day, the last thing I want to do is wash my face only to have to put on heavy, greasy moisturizer that makes me feel like I have to wash my face all over again. This CeraVe PM moisturizer, however, leaves my face feeling clearer than ever. The combination of using the AM moisturizer in the morning and the PM moisturizer in the evening works really well, and I’ve been loving it for the past several months I’ve been using it. 

Amazon.com

5. This last product is one of my all time favorites. A couple years ago my friend gave me C.O. Bigelow’s Rose Salve lip balm for my birthday. Because I’m a huge chapstick and lip balm fanatic, I was super excited about this gift. And I was right to be! This lip balm is amazing not only because of its incredible scent but also because it doesn’t have to be just for your lips. I’ve used this rosy pink lip balm on my lips, eyelids, hands, and elbows, just as it recommends on the container, and have never once been disappointed. It’s especially useful in the winter when my lips are chapped and my skin is dry. You can find this lip balm at Bath & Body Works as well as at Nordstrom Rack. 

Shop.nordstrom.com

Main Image Source: Oprah.com