This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Michael Cuttler

Hometown: Tinton Falls, New Jersey

Major: Political Science

What activities are you involved in on campus: Alternative Breaks, CBC, Neighbor’s Project, Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity, and Senior Interviewer Program

Why did you decide to lead an Alt break trip? I chose to lead an alternative break trip because my first experience on a trip as a participant changed my life and transformed my entire GW experience.

How many Alt Breaks have you gone on? I have been on 3 trips, all to New Orleans

Why did you choose to go to Nola? Prior to going to New Orleans, I heard tons of stories about the uniqueness of New Orleans and how Katrina devastated the city. It astonished me that 7 years after Katrina (in 2012) there was still so much work to be done rebuilding the city. Every time I go back to NOLA, I am amazed by the storied history of the city, the vibrant culture, and the strong will of the people who refuse to give up on their hometown and are determined to rebuild it better than ever.

Something that surprised you about your trip to Nola: This year it was surprisingly cold in New Orleans. The city was experiencing record low temperatures, so much so that the paint we were using even froze. Despite the frosty conditions, it was inspiring to see our group persevere and work selflessly to improve the lives of the deserving homeowners.

What was your favorite moment of AWB Nola 2014: My favorite moment of AWBNOLA 2014 was getting to meet and interact with Charles Gillam, the homeowner of the house we were restoring. Charles is a folk artist and community activist that teaches local kids folk art and self-expression while keeping them out of trouble. It was inspiring to be able to help such a selfless person and a strong community by repairing his home and folk art museum.

What was your least favorite memory: The 22 hour bus ride from DC to New Orleans is always daunting because I hate sitting in one place for that long.

A piece of wisdom you learned while in Nola: No matter how vast the devastation of a disaster like Katrina, I am inspired that man kind can always overcome and persevere by banding together and taking action.

A fact about Katrina you didn’t know until you went to Nola: The Lower 9th Ward of New Orleans, the hardest hit part of the city, is still only at 30% of its pre-Katrina occupancy rate.

When do you apply for 2015 breaks: You apply for 2015 Alternative Breaks at the beginning of the fall semester. Check out the Alternative Breaks program’s website for more info: http://gwalternativebreaks.wordpress.com/

How do you apply to be a leader: You can apply to lead a trip next year or propose a new trip for next year this March. Anyone interested in leading or proposing a new trip should come to an information session in March to learn more about the process and the expectations of new leaders!

What other volunteering do you do: I have done a lot of volunteering with a few organizations in the DC area like preparing meals with Campus Kitchens, cleaning up invasive species with Dumbarton Oaks Park, and playing soccer with local kids through DC Scores. DC Scores is my favorite organization because they engage kids after school when they would otherwise be sitting on the couch and they teach them literacy skills and physical fitness through the great sport of soccer!

Tell me about CBC: Community Building Community is an early move in program for incoming freshman that introduces students to all of DC’s exciting neighborhoods, allows students to meet fellow incoming freshman, and most importantly allows them to serve the DC community that they will be calling home for the next four years!

Tell me about Neighbors Project: Formerly called the Neighbors Project, EngageDC is a service leadership program that connects GW students with on-going service opportunities and internships with one of ten community partners throughout DC. While working with EngageDC, students have the oppportunity to impact the DC community, learn about social justice issues affecting people in DC, gain new skills and experience that you can take into the workplace, and most importantly have fun while serving alongside fellow GW students.

What is your inspiration to serve: I serve because it is a ton of fun, it is the most selfless thing a person can do, and it allows you to meet some of the greatest people in the world. I also believe that serving the community is as beneficial to your own being as it is to the community you are serving.

What is your favorite memory from service: During my first trip to New Orleans, we were working on putting wall frames together when a black sedan sped down the road and hit the brakes right in front of where we were working. We were not sure what to expect from the man driving this car because he showed up so abruptly and we were not in the best part of the city. All of a sudden, the driver gets out of his car with two cases of water bottles and leaves them on the curb for us. As he got back into his car, he said “I just want to make sure your group realizes how much this community appreciates what you are doing here.” This really put into context how important our service was and how we were making a real impact on the community.

Your favorite quote: ”Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth” – Muhammad Ali

Your favorite moment at GW: My favorite moment at GW is definitely when I planned Freshman Day of Service this past year. It was incredible to see all of my hard work successfully come together and watch 2,400 students mobilize throughout the DC community to make a lasting impact on the DC community.

Any plans to keep volunteering following graduation: Currently, I am actively looking for jobs in corporate social responsibility or in the nonprofit field where I can continue planning large scale service events to engage large groups in the community while also serving myself!

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.