This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Everyone says that the holidays are the “most wonderful time of the year.”  Especially for college students, there’s nothing more wonderful than knowing that your finals are over and you have a month-long vacation ahead of you. That’s right! For one whole month, we get to kiss Gelman goodbye and “rejuvenate” our brains with high school reunions and New Years Eve bashes. (Ok…maybe “rejuvenate” isn’t the right word…but we certainly get to give our brains a rest from the all-night cram sessions).

Yet, for those of you who find yourselves in a new relationship, the holidays can cause just as much stress as finals week.  How? If you started dating someone new this semester, (and you’re not from the same hometown), this is probably the first time that you’ll have to go more than a few days without seeing each other. (Awww…tear).  So, to cope with the distance, he’s invited you to spend a few days at his parents’ home. At first, you’re thrilled! While this may be one short road-trip for you, it’s one giant step for your relationship (props to Neil Armstrong).  The fact that your boyfriend is comfortable enough to introduce you to his parents shows that you mean more to him than a semester fling; you’re true girlfriend material.

But now, your nerves have started to kick in. Let’s face it: every girl knows that boys’ mothers hold extremely high standards when it comes to their sons’ dating lives.  They can be judgmental, possessive, and hesitant to share the spot of leading woman in their son’s world. Thus, if she doesn’t like you, she has the power to manipulate your boyfriend into not liking you either.  Yet, if you pass her test, she can be your biggest ally. So what can you do to ensure that you make a great first impression? Follow these tips and you’ll be on his parents’ good side in no time:

1.     Mind your manners. Never underestimate the power of “please” and “thank you.” If they take you out to dinner, it is imperative that you express your gratitude and speak eloquently.  (AKA don’t sound like a valley girl, and avoid saying “like” between every word). Meanwhile, if they cook for you, make sure you that you offer to help out in the kitchen and assist in clearing the dinner table.
2.     Bring a house-warming gift. If you’re staying as a guest in your boyfriend’s home, you MUST bring something nice for his parents. This can range from a decorative little gift, to a holiday dessert arrangement from your favorite bakery, to a bottle of wine (if you’re 21).  Of course, it’s the thought that counts – so don’t feel like you need to burn a hole in your wallet; but this small act can go a long way.
3.     Watch how much you drink.  Everyone likes to let loose over the holidays; but even if his parents are offering you alcohol, DO NOT get drunk with them.  One or two glasses of wine is okay if everyone else is drinking; but the last thing you want to do is loose your inhibitions and risk making a fool out of yourself.
4.     Dress classy.Save the tight dresses, low-cut blouses, and sequined skirts for New Years Eve.  This is not the time to show off your body…because dressing to turn on your boyfriend will only result in turning off his parents. 
5.     Be good to your guy.This may sound obvious, but a guy’s parents want to see their son with a girl who treats him well.  So avoid making fun of him or putting him down in any way (even if you’re just trying to be jokingly flirtatious).  Instead, show his parents how much you respect and admire him.  If they see how happy you make him, they’ll be happier to invite you into their lives.

So there you have it! 5 simple rules that will ensure that you do not end up like Ben Stiller in the movie, “Meet the Parents.”  In the end – as always – the most important rule is to BE YOURSELF.  Don’t act differently to try to impress your man’s parents; instead, show them who you really are, so that they understand how you won their son’s affection…and soon enough, you’ll win theirs too.    

Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.