Mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg: Commencement Speaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As you all probably already know, Michael Bloomberg, the mayor of New York City, will be addressing GW graduates at Commencement, May 15th, on the National Mall. However, he was not chosen for his political background. He was chosen because he, just like every GW colonial, loves giving to the community. 

To this day, Michael Bloomberg has donated more than $1.6 billion to 970 charities. Public Health has been a major focus of his chartiable efforts. The Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University was named after him in recognition of his commitment to the university. He also supports the arts and has given major funds to arts education programs, performing arts centers, public arts programs, exhibitions and many of the small and mid-sized arts organizations throughout New York City.

Bloomberg is inspired by the generosity of others, and hopes that he can encourage that same spirit of giving when he comes to speak to us (pshhh, as if we need advice on how to help others…).

Source: http://www.mikebloomberg.com/index.cfm?objectid=B96D19BD-C29C-7CA2-F72C5…
Photo Courtesy: http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2010/09/michael_bloomberg_meg_whitman…

Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.