This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Let’s be real, maintaining a long distance relationship is an endless game of phone tag. It’s aggravating, painful, and really really hard work; however, we make it work since we love and care about our partners. It’s not glamorous or easy, yet we still continue to maintain the relationship. But why? Is it realllyyy worth it? When figuring out if you’re ready to commit to a long distance relationship it’s important to ask yourself questions like these. Can I trust my partner? Do I want to have a boyfriend/girlfriend in college? If  you’re having doubts, that’s ok. But, if you can’t seem to trust your partner, or if you believe that it’s going to affect your semester, it may be time to give it a break. If you believe you’re ready to take the next step in your relationship and become long distance, then keep reading (if you’re still unsure, keep reading and see if you’re ready to commit). 

1. Communication is key. Be prepared to make an extra effort when it comes to communicating. Plan times you and your partner are both able to Facetime. There are going to be times when you are available and your partner won’t be (vise versa). During these times it’s easy to get frustrated but in the end, you should plan or create a routine in which you can talk and catch up. 

2. Remind your partner that you’re thinking about them. Since you’re not spending everyday together it’s nice to know that your partner is thinking about you. This  includes sending them cookies from a cute instagram account or posting a picture of the two of you. This can also be accomplished by simply telling your partner that you’re thinking of them or that something reminds them of you.

3. Another thing to keep in mind is that you should figure out when you are able to see each other. Depending on one’s relationship this may vary, but you and your partner should plan time together in advance so you can spend time together and catch up in person. Let’s face it, things are always better with a partner in person. 

Long distance is hard, yet extremely doable. If you and your partner try it and it doesn;t work out then that’s ok. No one knows what the future holds and there may be a possibility that you will find eachother again. If you stay together try not to cheat on your partner. If you think you want to it may be better to break up so you can do as you like without feeling limited. At the end of the day you don’t want to resent your partner. As long as you put in the work, maintaining a long distance relationship can be done. 

Alexandra Fastlich is a sophomore. She's majoring in Communications and minoring in Creativity, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation. In her free time, she can be found listening to music, online shopping, or running around the monuments.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.