Local Food to Celebrate the Cherry Blossom Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

DC’s most famous celebration is the Cherry Blossom Festival, which showcases the distinctive cherry blossom trees given to Washington by Tokyo in 1912. Nowadays, the blooming of cherry blossoms signifies the coming of spring and the trees have become one of DC’s iconic symbols.

When DC celebrates the Cherry Blossom Festival each spring, the city goes all out: parades, tours, art, music, dances, and—of course—food! Given that DC is such a food-driven city, here are a few of the sweet cherry blossom-themed treats the city has come up with to celebrate and honor the blossoms:

Cherry Blossom Cupcake: Georgetown Cupcake

Given DC’s sweet spot for cupcakes, it’s no surprise that perhaps DC’s most well-known cupcake store has released a seasonal cherry blossom cupcake. Baked with fresh cherries and topped with vanilla crème frosting, these cupcakes are only available during March and April, so get them while you can!

Cherry Blossom Almond Buckle: Founding Farmers

Given the restaurant’s proximity to campus, Founding Farmers has become a local favorite among GW students. If you’re looking for a cherry dessert without having to go too far off campus, look no further than the restaurant’s Cherry Almond Buckle, which—according to their website—is a “moist cherry cake topped with almond-brown sugar crumble and served with a scoop of house made cherry kirsch ice cream.” Yum!

Cherry Blossom Bento Box

Kaz Sushi Bistro, located on I St. just off campus, is serving up a cherry blossom themed bento box with the chef’s special selection of sushi and sashimi. If you’re seeking other cherry-themed fare, be sure to check out the Taste of Japan Festival taking place April 4th!

Sparkling Geisha (cocktail)

For those who’d prefer to seek out cherry-themed treats without even having to leave campus, look no further than Tonic at Quigley’s Sparkling Geisha cocktail, composed of sake, liquor, and sparkling wine. Needless to say, this treat caters only to the 21+ crowd.

For a full list of “Cherry Picks” restaurants, check out the website.

And if you can’t choose just one restaurant, why not try the Cherry Blossom food tour? The 3-hour tour travels through the city and has hand selected the best of the best! Make reservations here.