This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Whenever I’m asked the question “What’s one thing you couldn’t live without?” my answer (after my family and friends of course) is music. 

One of my favorite pastimes is curating playlists. Starting in my freshman year of high school, I started making monthly playlists as an audial mood board for each month. I love having a place to drop in my new monthly favorites and revisit some of my favorite songs from the past. 

With that, I thought I’d share my February playlist with you!

Only the Young by Taylor Swift

The release of Swift’s documentary Miss Americana also gave fans this single, which highlights the political aspects of the film. The song is not only catchy but empowers our generation to take political activism seriously in the face of issues in our society. 

Ain’t Together by King Princess

Featured on her 2019 debut album Cheap Queen, this song, with its woozy verses and memorable chorus, gets stuck in my head constantly. Plus, it features J.Tillman, also known as Father John Misty, on the drums– a collaboration I never knew I needed until it arrived.

Maniac by Conan Gray

As a former subscriber to Gray’s YouTube channel, I always love listening to his music and this song is no exception. Its bouncy chorus always puts me in a good mood and is a great beat to walk around campus to.

Feel the Morning on My Face by Yamid Spain

As a massive Euphoria fan, this song helps quell my longing for season 2 whenever I play it. I’m a sucker for great bass, and this song makes me miss driving around at night, blasting music full volume.

Lost in Yesterday by Tame Impala

The newest single from one of my favorite bands of all time! Not much to say besides I highly recommend you listen so you’re up to date when their new album drops!

Heart Don’t Stand a Chance by Anderson .Paak

Anderson .Paak holds a special place in my heart (no pun intended), as he was my top artist on Spotify for 2019! Beyond that, my dad is a huge fan of his music, so putting on any of his songs remind me of summer at home and hanging out with my family.

Almost in Love by Olivia O’Brien

Olivia O’Brien is one of my favorite new artists right now and her Sad Songs in the Summer micro-mixtape proved to only lift her sound to new heights. The vibey track is filled with O’Brien’s smart lyricism and great production, and I’m excited to see it live when she comes to DC in March!

Best I Ever Had by Drake

This song is undoubtedly a classic, one I rediscovered while looking through my sophomore year playlist entitled “drake is life.” While that playlist is no longer in my current rotation, this song has found its way back into my queue.

Don’t Take the Money by Bleachers

Jack Antonoff, known for his work with Lana Del Rey, Lorde, and Taylor Swift, to name a few, is also a musician in his own right as the lead singer in Bleachers. This upbeat song combines 80s rock energy with a fresher alternative sound, whilst making me smile every time I listen to it.

Time in a Tree by Raleigh Ritchie

Recommended to me by a friend, this song is filled with interesting production and a calm vibe, and is perfect to put on while studying or chilling out with friends. Fun fact: the artist is Grey Worm from Game of Thrones! (That means nothing to me as a non-GOT fan but maybe it’ll mean something to someone)

Taylor is a freshman from Los Angeles, CA majoring in journalism and double minoring in psychology and law. She loves her three dogs, the beach, and anything pop culture related.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.