This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

If you’ve read my previous article, you know I went through a huge body transformation. The biggest change and takeaway of my weight loss journey is how much I LOVE to exercise! Any form of exercise used to overwhelm me and I often tried to make excuses not to get out of it. Now, I often find myself fidgety if I don’t find time to move throughout my day. However, I still experience days where my motivation is out the window, and I perform the bare minimum of my expectations. I wanted to offer some tips for some easier forms of exercise that are still extremely effective and enjoyable!

1. Outdoor walking/hiking 

Going outside for exercise makes it more refreshing and rewarding. Going for a hike, no matter the level of difficulty exposes you to fresh air and a new environment. For me, a change of scenery was huge when I started to enjoy my workouts. If I was bored, I often went exploring to see what new things I could find. 

1. Incline walking

This is the easiest way to get a heck of a workout in! Progressively going up on the incline for as small as 30 minutes a day will show great results. Sometimes there were days I could never make up the motivation to go to the gym, so this was a great way to get something in! I often watched an episode of my favorite show or found new music on my Spotify Discover Weekly playlists. I also know a lot of people who use incline walking as their only form of exercise. They say they got stronge and felt incredible!

1. Strength Training

My favorite form of exercise is strength training. For me, the most effective. When people think of losing weight, they think cardio is the best answer. Strength training made me shift my thinking from losing weight to getting stronger! Even after achieving my goal weight, the thought of getting stronger kept me motivated. I started using the machines at the gym and adding bands to movements. Then, I added in dumbbells, bars, and eventually felt confident enough to use all equipment. It’s definitely a confidence thing, but starting small and building on your abilities and skills will make you feel so proud of yourself. So, on those low motivation days, stick to the basics! Do some bodyweight squats, lunges, or use lighter leveled bands for the same compound movements.

I hope at least one of these tips motivated you to incorporate some movement into your day if you are feeling down. No one can give 100% all the time, and it’s ok to have times where you feel less motivated. It honestly is the small efforts that create the most change. Not to mention, replacements like those above keep you on track and ensure you come back the next day stronger and more motivated!

Quinn is a senior at George Washington University's Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. She is a Special Interdisciplinary Major in Media Communications and Business. She is a member of the Pi Beta Phi Fraternity, GW Field Hockey, GW Radio, and she is a WLP Alumni. In her free time she enjoys working out, shopping, cooking, and spending time with friends.