This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Kate Pena

Year: 2014

Major: Business Administration with a double concentration in Marketing & Event Management

Hometown: Long Island, NY

What brought you to GW?

I told my family in 4th grade that I wanted to go to GW while visiting DC when I saw how close it was to Georgetown shopping and that it had a T.G.I Friday’s on campus. As I got a little older I realized I really wanted a city campus – but something that wasn’t too overwhelming. DC is a great area to be in, there are so many fun things to do and see. I also wanted to go to a business school where I had a lot of resources offered to me and GWSB is perfect for that with the Career Center and our personal business advisors. I’m still in love with GW as much as I was the first time I saw it. Seeing the Washington Monument from your classroom and having motorcades wake you up never really gets old.

What organizations are you involved in?

I am president of Epsilon Sigma Alpha, which is GW’s only community service sorority. ESA is an international organization and our philanthropy is St. Judes! We hold two large philanthropy events on campus; one being Gobblefest, which is a Thanksgiving eating contest open to all GW students. Cumulatively, our chapter does over 1,000 hours of community service a semester. You can find out more about our chapter by visiting www.gwuesa.com. I also helped start another student org on campus called We Book Shows, which brings different artists and bands to campus.

How do you handle schoolwork, student orgs, and your social life?

I try and block out parts of my day to devote to each of my responsibilities. Obviously schoolwork comes first and I always try and get my homework done before starting on anything else. I usually make a giant list of all my assignments for the semester, so it’s easier for me to get things done ahead of time so I can then focus on my student orgs and have time for some fun!

What made you decide to join ESA?

I really wanted to get involved with community service on campus because I just really enjoy giving back. I wanted something that was going to be a big part of my life, but not take over my schedule completely and ESA is just that. I enjoy being able to have the sisterhood aspects, but also having a strong focus on helping out others. In ESA I can choose when and where to do my service hours, so it doesn’t overwhelm my schedule and I always enjoy the service I do.

What have you gained from being a member of ESA?

I have learned a lot of skills from being a member of ESA. I’ve learned how to plan and execute events, how to run meetings and how to manage a large group of girls. These are all things that I will always use in life. I’ve also gained an amazing group of sisters. I’ve made some of my best friends, and all of my roommates, from ESA. Finally I have really gained a lot from the people I’ve met through doing service, it’s amazing how much someone you meet and help can inspire you.

What are your hopes after graduation?

After graduation I hope to work in the marketing or PR field. I’d love to stay around DC and hopefully one day I can open my own business. I would also really love to be a GPS mentor as an alumnus!

What would you say is one of your greatest achievements?

I would probably say my greatest achievement is being elected President of ESA. I’m really excited to be able to lead such a great group of girls on campus and we have a lot of things planned this year with some big changes!  

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.