Justin Hyde ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Justin Hyde

Year: 2015

Major: Organizational Science

Hometown: Colts Neck, NJ

Involvement: Lead Organizer- VEO for Kappa Sigma, Student Association, Shave Away

Shaveaway is an event that Kappa Sigma has put on for two consecutive years that raises money and awareness for cancer. The guys invite anyone to come out and shave their heads for cancer at the beginning of October. With Captain Cookie and Vineyard Vines at the event, they also partnered with St. Baldrick’s childhood cancer charity funding and other organizations to raise money. This year, Kappa Sig raised over $35,000. The support came from all over country and was unbelievably successful. Justin Hyde was the man in charge.

How did you come up with the idea to do Shaveaway?

“I came up with the idea for Shave away last year in December, at like 4 in the morning. It sort of just came to me and I got really excited about the idea. I had heard of it done before in other places and thought that my brothers would take well to the idea.  I sent it out on our list serve and got an overwhelmingly positive response. Cancer research had always been important to me, and I thought the event would work well at GW.”

How was this year different from last year’s event?

“The main difference was the amount of time that we had to prepare, which allowed this year’s event to be so much larger. Last year, we only had a month to plan and fundraise, whereas this year we started eight months in advance. This year we also teamed up with Saint Baldrick’s, which provided the online portal for brothers to fundraise, lawyers, and other structural things. We partnered with the NFL and are in the process of doing an online raffle. The support was greater this year, we had people coming from all over the DC, Virginia and Maryland areas.”

You got a day founded for the event, correct?

“Yes! So, the mayor proclaimed St. Baldrick’s Shaveaway day on October 5th. I have the official document and everything. It makes the whole event much more official.” 

What was the most rewarding moment from Shaveaway?

“Seeing how many people actually did it was pretty incredible. Over hundreds of people participated, and many were not affiliated with GW. People from all over came to the event in Square 80 and shaved their heads. One of the first people to sit down in the shaving chair was a girl with long blonde hair. She didn’t say much but it was awesome to see not only her, but the families and others that decided to come and get their heads shaved.”

How did it feel getting your head shaved?

“Relieving! It had been such a long time to prepare, and I didn’t get much sleep before hand. When I got my head shaved, I could finally feel the reality of all the hard work and it was nice to know it was happening.”

You raised over $45,000 for cancer research, how did that feel?

“I was so proud! It really took the support of everyone. We were a grassroots fundraiser that couldn’t have happened without everyone’s involvement. We plan on having a total of over $50,000 after it all comes in. We still are waiting on some donations from Fobogro , online and online auctions.”

Sometimes Greek Life gets a bad rep, do you think this changes things?

“The fact that Greek Life gets such a bad reputation really bothers me. It can lend itself to good things, and makes philanthropy more personal. This event speaks for itself, but I couldn’t have done the work without my brothers, and the money certainly wouldn’t have been raised otherwise.”

How else do you think GW students can show their support for cancer?

“They can get involved in larger student organizations.  You need a group of people to do anything and there is great power in numbers. Finding a group of people willing to help you fundraise is just the start.

What can we expect from you next?

“There will be more attention on the auction, it will be bigger and better, much more promotion. Next year the event will also be held at Tonic. Come join us!!” 

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.