This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Jordan Grobe

Year: 2016

Hometown: White Plains, NY

Major/Minor: B.B.A, concentrating in Event Management with a minor in Sustainability

Campus Involvement: WRGW Two-Time General Manager

WRGW is a huge student organization on campus. Why do you think it draws so much interest?

We’re an open community, people always fit in at WRGW. We’re an involved community that encourages the “weird.” Between music, news, talk and sports, we’re all really enthusiastic and passionate about the things we like to talk about – and that’s why we talk about them on the air. 

This is your second year serving as General Manager for WRGW. What did you do in your first year that kept you on track for obtaining the position a second time? 

I had a clear vision and direction for the station, to be both more professional on the air and fun in our events and community. With the wonderful board members I surrounded myself with, we were largely able to accomplish those goals. Thankfully our DJs seemed to agree, and their support was integral for bolstering our culture and community.

Of all the bands you’ve interviewed, which was your favorite and why?

For WRGW, The Lone Bellow. They’re an incredible folk trio with some of the tightest harmonies I’ve ever heard, and they’re all so nice! For 9:30 Club, I would have to say Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes or TV on the Radio. It was very cool to hear their various opinions on songwriting, success, and touring.

How do you balance being a full-time student and managing a popular student radio station? 

Not well. *laughs*

What’s been your biggest learning experience as General Manager?

Radio stations are complicated. There’s a lot of moving parts, and as GM, I have to oversee most of them and make sure they’re functioning collaboratively and effectively. 

What do you want to be when you grow up? Are you secretly a rock star?

When I grow up, the goal is to own/operate a venue or a series of venues, like 9:30 Club or Bowery Presents. Am I secretly a rock star? Maybe. 

My name is Katie, and I’m an Atlanta-born, East Coast-bred lover of all things style, decor and travel. Currently, I’m a senior at The George Washington University majoring in Communication with minors in Journalism & Mass Communication and Psychology. Though I wish I could say that I have the carriage of a demure southern belle, I’m really an (overly?) opinionated, sailor-mouthed lover of Food Network and my Filofax. I also adore pugs, prosciutto, anything made with nude patent leather, and a good, long reality TV show marathon. Y’all can read more by me at KatieJCartwright.com and TheDistrictBrunette.com.