It’s That Time of Year Again: Four Fun Activities for Fall in DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Happy fall, collegiettes! As the days grow cooler and the leaves start to change, you may be looking for some fun seasonal activities to do in the District. So grab your sweaters and scarves (and maybe a pumpkin spice latte) and go check out some of these fun, quintessentially fall pastimes.

Eastern Market

Billed on its website as “DC’s original and premier food and arts market,” Eastern Market is crafting heaven. On weekends, its flea market-style stalls have food as well as handmade jewelry, scarves, and more in the offing. Whether you are looking for a unique gift for a friend, a cute trinket for yourself or just browsing, Eastern Market is a great place to be on a brisk fall morning. And once you are done shopping, there are plenty of great brunch spots in the neighborhood to grab a bite.

The C & O Canal Historic Park

Beginning in Georgetown and stretching to NoVa, this National Park offers a historic canal with gorgeous fall foliage. For almost 100 years, the canal was an important waterway to transport goods along the Potomac. Now, it’s quiet and serene, a haven of nature and greenery within the city. Perfect for exploring or picnicking, the Canal Park is a can’t-miss fall attraction.

Washington Capitals Game

The Caps season kicks off on October 9, with their first home game at the Verizon Center, against the Montreal Canadians. Ticket prices vary, but if you buy them early, you could probably snag them for about $40. It might be a bit of a splurge, but if you’re a sports fan, there’s nothing like an ice hockey game to get in the spirit of fall. (And, if you’re not a sports fan, there’s always the hot chocolate at the snack bar).

Taste of DC

Bring out your inner foodie on October 11th and 12th, when Pennsylvania Ave. will be taken over by food trucks and stalls from the best of the best local restaurants. General admission to this culinary adventure is only $10, and the festival will be hopping from 12-7 PM on both Saturday and Sunday. Participating vendors include Ben’s Chili Bowl, Circa, Sprinkles, La Tasca and plenty of other DC classics. Besides the divine delicacies, this event is outdoors, the perfect opportunity to enjoy some sunshine before winter rolls in.

Carly Buchanan is a member of the class of 2015 at the George Washington University, where she is a journalism and mass communication major at the School of Media and Public Affairs. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a communications intern, guest contributor for Green Connections Media, and member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. She spent the Fall 2013 semester studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and currently resides in Washington, D.C. Passionate about music, especially hits of the '90's, Carly also prides herself on her New England roots and mental catalog of rom-com knowledge.  You can find her on Twitter at @buchanan_carly.