Style > Beauty

I Save Hundreds of Dollars By Swapping Out These Pricey Products For Just As Effective Dugstore Ones

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Being a beauty junkie is expensive. My serum addiction is single handedly draining my bank account. And, somewhere between adopting the double cleanse and an additional three (totally necessary) glow activating products, my wallet issued an SOS. 

So, in a semi-successful effort to save some cash, I turned to the beauty aisle at my local CVS. And, to my disbelief, a handful of drugstore goods have their pricey partners beat. Read on for a breakdown of what splurge-worthy products can be substituted for cheaper—and better—drugstore finds. 

For that Cheekbone ~Glow~

Image via bestanti-aging.com  

I’m a major fan of Bobbi Brown’s Extra Illuminating Moisture Balm ($68) (Bare Glow, please!). I mix two pumps in with my foundation and apply it to the high points of my face. It gives my skin the ultimate glow from within effect. But if I’m trying to cut back on spending, cult favorite Weleda Skin Food ($10.29) works just as well—if not better—when it comes to achieving the dewy look. Dab the moisturizer on the high points of your face (cheekbones, nose, etc.) before applying primer. Be careful not to massage the cream into the skin, rather pat it on to keep a sticky, glowy finish. PSA: a little goes a long way. 

To Take Away Unwanted Shine 

Image via RCMA makeup

I love Laura Mercier Translucent Setting Powder ($23) as much as the next person. And, once upon a time it was staple in my routine and the product I couldn’t live without. Then, I stumbled upon RCMA Make-Up No Color Powder ($12). I tend to oxidize on the orange side, but this powder keeps my skin looking balanced, crease-free, matte and my makeup in place. While there’s no built in applicator, any powder brush does the trick. Swirl the brush in the lid and gently dust over target areas. 

Because We All Need To Look Sun Kissed in 30 Degrees 

Image via Physicians Formula

This drugstore switch will forever be my favorite discovery. Never will I ever be able to justify spending a penny more than $9.99 on a bronzer. Go buy Physician’s Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer. Now. With a subtle shimmer, the cream meets powder bronzer applies flawlessly and gives your skin a lit-from-within glow. The moisturizing properties bestow a soft finish and blended effect. 

Say Goodbye to Dark Circles 

Image via Maybelline

Truth be told, I like to keep the following two ultra-effective concealers in my beauty arsenal at all times. The first, NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer ($30) undoubtedly gives a great finish and a luminating glow. But Maybelline’s Instant Age Rewind Concealer ($9.99) covers dark circles no like other. It’s my go-to after a sleepless night. The concentrated formula helps me looks well rested and refreshed. 

For The Longest (Clump Free!) Lashes

Image via Maybelline

Contrary to popular opinion, I’ve never been a Better Than Sex ($24) devotee. Instead, I’m all about Buxom Lash Volumizing Mascara ($22) in Blackest Black. It lengthens and lifts with just one coat; oh, and not a clump in site. The brush is easy to use and grabs all those little lashes in the corner. The rich color makes my eyes pop—I swear by it. But, when I tested out Maybelline’s Volum’ Express The Falsies ($6.99) I was amazed. To put it simply, the mascara lives up to its name.

So You Don’t Have To Wash Your Hair Until Tomorrow

Image via Batiste 

Let’s be real: showering is a time commitment. And sometimes, it’s just going to have to wait a day. Fear not, just grab some dry shampoo. Klorane ($20), the pricier of my two favorites, truly cleans your hair. It removes all grease and the smell is AMAZING. But, Batiste’s Strength & Shine Dry Shampoo ($7.99) works just as well! It removes oil and adds volume without making hair feel stiff and crunchy. 

I’m a Pennsylvania native currently studying journalism at The George Washington University. I’m a skin care obsessee, true believer in the power of a super sized iced coffee and completely addicted to all things pop culture.  INSTAGRAM: @samholender